Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What exterior Pine sealer for pergola purlins?

theoysta
Finding My Feet

What exterior Pine sealer for pergola purlins?

I am looking to purchase H3 LVL for pergola purlins Do I need to seal or paint them?

I was thinking of sealing them with Sikkens HLSE to make them appear like Jarrah. Is there another better colour or sealer option ? 

What would you do at the end to stop splitting as it dries out in the South Australian Sun?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What exterior Pine sealer for pergola purlins?

Hello @theoysta 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about what pine sealer to use for your pergola purlins.

If you are referring to the Sikkens 1L Cetol HLSe Teak Timber Finish, it can be used as a finishing coat. It is a stand-alone 3 coat system for the decoration and protection of timber decking, outdoor furniture and cladding. Can be used as a primer for other Sikkens timber applications. Please make sure to follow the finishing coat instructions at the back of the can. As for the ends of the timber, I propose putting on the same number of coatings so that the ends will be protected as well.  

There are a number of stain and varnish sealers you can use for your purlins. I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the sample timber finishes and see if you can find one that suits your needs.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @theoysta 

Hard call :smile: For longitivity Id suggest painting to seal the pine but for the look you are after then id go for the oiling of it. One thing with oiling is that you will have to keep on revisiting the timber every year as it does tend to fade. I have a privacy screen that is due to be done right about now 😕

As to the end splitting in the South Australian Sun... mmmm Maybe something along the lines of timbermate wood filler and then sanded. THo that would mean you would be painting the timber as wll.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @theoysta 

Sounds like you are already on the right path and with the product that @EricL has suggested. Sealing with an oil or painting with a high quality exterior is definitely the way to go. When it comes to colour, well thats personal taste. So just go with something that is consistent with the house. Say the facia board colour.

Regarding preventing the ends from splitting, it would help to supply a photo so I could get a better idea of what might be suitable practically and aesthetics wise. 

Regards Nailbag

Hi Nailbag The project is still in planning, no Photos as yet. I was looking to square end rather than traditional agle cut on the overhang. I was thinking of some type of car bog to seal it

regards Theoysta

Hi Dave

Thanks to you and all for the response. I am not keen on 12 month intervals. I was hoping the Sikkens Hlse 3 coat system would be closer to 3 years for weather protection. O might need to rethink it all

Regards Theoysta

Thanks for the follow up Eric. I believe that Sikkens is the best, especially as the price reflects that. The  seem to think every 12 months for recoat, would that be the same if I used a hardwood rather than the pine lvl's. If i decided to paint rather than oil How often would you think 2 coats of  duragaurd need recoating

regards Theoysta

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @theoysta 

I havnt used that brand before. Oil in general tends to wear away and depending on what enviroment you live in will fade differently. The once every three years maintenence might lead you towards a painted surface then :).

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @theoysta,

Recoat for the Sikken products would be the same whether it is Pine or Hardwood.

Sorry, I might have missed the reference to "duraguard", would that be Wattyl Solarguard? Wattyl Solarguard has a 25-year warranty against peeling, flaking and blistering. You might consider refreshing it after 15 years if it has become soiled. There's no yearly re-coat for a painted surface; it's just oils as they tend to flush out of the surface.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects