Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What base should I use to install 600x600x10mm outdoor porcelain tiles?

verjones2016
Just Starting Out

What base should I use to install 600x600x10mm outdoor porcelain tiles?

Hi, I am wanting to install 600x600x10mm Outdoor Porcelain tiles to my Alfresco area which is currently just sand and need to know the best base to use? The area is around 20m/2, I will be removing the current pavers and replacing with the tiles.

08f746fa-c9c5-4553-8e3b-a5605af5fb26.jpegcc990112-207b-480a-b0b9-fb0f6181ff1d.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What base should I use to install 600x600x10mm outdoor porcelain tiles?

Hello @verjones2016 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your porcelain tiles.

I'm afraid the only viable base I can suggest is concrete. It has to be firm solid and unmoving because of the nature of tiles. If you do decide to lay down a concrete base, it's critical that the slab has a proper fall so that water does not pool on its surface. This would also be a good opportunity to install proper drain channels on both sides of the slab.

You're in luck as I can see a storm water drain near your wall. This will make it much easier for you to point your slab drain towards your storm drain. Once the concrete slab cures properly, you can then begin planning your tiling project.

Let me call on our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns, @homeinmelbourne, @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Agree with @EricL on all his points @verjones2016 

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @verjones2016 

@EricL has nailed it. I agree with his and @Nailbag 's suggestions. All I can add is to think where you want low point to drain to, Eric has suggested the stormwater point but you could extend that out to elsewhere with a pipe. Also Factor in an outside power outlet or even lay down conduits for potential future use.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects