Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close this space? Budget friendly ideas wanted

Deeks66
Growing in Experience

How to close this space? Budget friendly ideas wanted

IMG_5287.jpeg We have had a lot of rain over the last few weeks and this space has allowed for water to come down onto our barbecue and dining setting And cause the concrete to turn green. This is a shared wall between the duplex and originally we wanted privacy screens as their children climb their outdoor equipment and look into our kitchen but we are now having an issue with the rain. Any ideas welcome!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to close this space up budget friendly

Hello @Deeks66 

Thanks for sharing your question about covering up the space near your fence. I propose using Sunlite 8 1.2 x 0.61m Solar Grey Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheet. The sheet can be attached to your existing roof frame saving you from having to build anything new. The panel can be cut using a circular saw with a fine-tooth blade or a heavy-duty utility knife. Please double check your measurements before cutting the panel.

The panel comes in both clear and dark shade, I suggest having a look at both panels at the store and see which one will suite your needs. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to close this space? Budget friendly ideas wanted

Hi @Deeks66 you have two options here, one is what @EricL has suggested and the other would be to measure the shape and allow for fixing overlaps and order a colorbond metal flashing. It will give you a near perfect fit, but the downside on this would be you will loose natural light.

With either solution make sure the material is set out as per the red lines to prevent water getting in

Regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 8.53.03 PM.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to close this space up budget friendly

:laugh: Good Evening @Deeks66 

@EricL's suggestion is exactly where I went right down to the smokey colouring :smile:

It looks like the fence line and the roofline are in the same plane? If not you could make up a triangular frame to suit that missing area, then attach the cut out of the smokey sheet to the outside of it and then screw it to the roof truss. I know that feeling of little eyes having a sticky beak :smile: I think we all do especially when we are kids, I extended my mini orb fence upwards to stop the same thing happening.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects