Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What base for decorative stones & stepping stones?

magdaleneho17
Finding My Feet

What base for decorative stones & stepping stones?

Hi, 

Can I get some advice. I am planning to put decorative rocks and stepping stones at the side of the area. 

At the moment, we’ve pulled out all the weeds, levelled the ground and place weed mat on the area. 

My question is:

1) would we need to put paving sand on the weed mat for the rocks? 
2) for the stepping stones, will I need to put road base and mortar under? 

IMG_6642.jpeg

Thank you! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Placing decorative stones & stepping stones

Hi @magdaleneho17,

It sounds like you're making great progress on your project. For the decorative rocks, there's no need to add sand under them; they can be placed directly on the weed mat, as their weight will help keep the mat in place and prevent weed growth. As for the stepping stones, using a road base or mortar underneath can provide added stability, particularly if they will be frequently walked on. 

However, if the stepping stones are wide and the ground beneath the weed mat is well-compacted and stable, they might remain secure without the need for additional support. That said, adding a small amount of mortar or road base can help ensure they stay level over time. Did you compact the soil before laying the weed mat, or was it already firm and stable? This could affect the long-term stability of both your rocks and stepping stones. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This is so helpful! Will keep on working on it and hopefully there’s progress soon 😊

Can't wait to see @magdaleneho17. Looks like you might be going for an oriental-style garden, my favourite.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects