Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a 3m Flag pole from the front of the house?

kamil1472
Finding My Feet

How to install a 3m Flag pole from the front of the house?

kamil1472_0-1725318511559.png

Hi Bunnings Family,

I want to install a 3m flag pole in front of my house as shown in the photo. 

It will be L-shape pole that will be attached to the wall and then goes straight up where the flag will be attached. What is the best material to do that? There is also strong wind so I am bit worried about the pole as well. What would be the best way to install the pole? I also need to have the strong brackets that can hold the pressure. Please guide me. I want this project asap. Thanks for your help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a 3m Flag pole from the front of the house?

Hello @kamil1472 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing a flagpole.

In this particular instance, I suggest engaging the services of a draftsperson. They will be able to draw you a plan on how to construct the flagpole mount and if the mounting point needs to be reinforced. Your flagpole needs to be very strong and mounted very well because it will encounter a lot of dynamic stress. The flag will act like a sail during strong winds and will add stress to the pole, stress will also be applied to the pole during storms. This is why it needs to be anchored very well, and the flagpole attached to its bracket very carefully.   

Insufficient study of the mounting wall will result in either a failure of the flagpole or will gravely damage your wall. Have you considered perhaps mounting the flagpole in the ground? 

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @kamil1472 , I agree with @EricL , that the flag would put a lot of stress on the mounting point.
I had flagpoles installed in a factory many years ago, we had timber flagpoles that were deteriorated and in danger of snapping, so we had them replaced by professional suppliers/installers, in aluminium, I suggest getting a quote to supply and install the flagpole you need from a company that supply , install and guarantee the installation.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Just outta curiosity @kamil1472, what was your plan/mechanism for raising and lowering the flag - from that mounted position?

Cheers.

My plan was to have a fixed L-shaped piece attached to the wall and the flag pole attached to the vertical side of the L-shaped fixed piece. I have bought a vertical flag pole with raising/lowering mechanism. 

Hi. Thanks for the reply @EricL 

It helped me in deciding what I need to do. I have decided not to mount it on the wall, rather raising the flag from the ground vertically. 

I want to post the flag on the concrete. I know most of the flags are placed on the grass surface and then concreting is done. In my case, I am thinking of creating a concrete base and then putting the flag pole in that base. How would you think about it?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kamil1472 

The concrete base would need to be in the ground to prevent it from toppling over in high wind. To determine how deep a flagpole should be buried, you can follow a general rule of thumb commonly used in construction and landscaping: burying about 10% of the total height of the pole plus an additional 0.6 meters (60 cm) for stability. How wide should the hole be? The width of the hole for a flagpole typically depends on the diameter of the flagpole and the need for stability. A general guideline is to make the hole about 3 to 4 times the diameter of the flagpole.

However, because you wish to have it above ground, I propose engaging the services of a draftsperson to determine how big the concrete base will need to be. 

Eric

Thanks. 

I am thinking of something like this.

kamil1472_0-1725501334830.png

It can be a hollow design and then put flag pole inside with locks. How would that design be? Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kamil1472 

If you are thinking of a more complicated system, I suggest engaging the services of a professional flagpole installation service. Especially if you are after a sleeve type set with a locking mechanism. I believe that the installation method for this set is much more involved.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects