Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber window sill repair

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Timber window sill repair

IMG_6549.JPG

I had some wood rot on my bay window sill, instead of replacing the whole lower section of the timber, I decided to repair the damaged section, the original timber is cedar wood, however, the previous owner repaired the the window sill using hardwood, which deteriorated over time and rotted away, I had a piece of cedar wood, that I shaped to fit the damaged area, I used exterior wood glue, then sanded and shaped the wood to match the rest of the sill. 

IMG_6471.JPG  

IMG_6482.JPG  

IMG_6484.JPG  

IMG_6527.JPG 

IMG_6532.JPG

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Timber window sill repair

Hi @JoeAzza 

Its great you have the skills to do that work and a spare bit of cedar handy. Finished window looks good :smile:

You got too love that cedar  smell.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Great repair job @JoeAzza!

You have done a spot-on job replacing the piece that had rot. I agree with @Jewelleryrescue, cedar is a lovely smell!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JoeAzza

Thank you for sharing that window sill repair job. It's always a treat to see these types of repairs, unfortunately, they are often neglected until it is too late for any effective repairs. As a homeowner, if you were to take a stroll outside your house I'm sure you'll spot one or two things that can be repaired or maintained. For example, gate hinges can be lubricated, leaves and sticks blocking the AC unit can be removed, removing the cobwebs in your mailbox and rolling up the hose to prevent them from going brittle.

A little bit of care and repair goes a long way.

Again, thanks for sharing an excellent repair job.

Eric

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Thankyou @EricL 

Yes true, a little bit of maintenance goes a long way, especially on a timber house. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great repair job @JoeAzza.

This is the kind of project that many of us leave undone for too long. We're going to try to encourage everyone to have a go and knock a few off their list during Fix-it Feb. Many thanks for the inspiration.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects