Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change outdoor balcony grout colour?

SusanEC10
Getting Established

How to change outdoor balcony grout colour?

Hello, I am planning to regrout some damaged areas to our balcony which is exposed to the weather. After research I think it’s best to use this Epoxy Grout from Bunnings - Dunlop 3.25kg Slate Grey Easy Clean Epoxy Grout Kit. However I am wanting to change the colour to a much darker shade or even black and was wondering how best to do so? I know there are cement oxides, but is there anything best for Epoxy and when would it be best to add the colour if I can? Thank for any advice! Cheers 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: outdoor balcony grout and colour

Hi  @SusanEC10  Welcome to Bunnings  Workshop

Is it possible to take a photo of your current damaged  areas . If not a  photo what color and type of  tiles you  currently have Ceramic, stone, porcelain etc

As the  darker grout and oxides can stain different materials.  For example I recently used marble tiles and they can stain with out pre sealing them.  Mind you the  stain in white marble helped bring out the marble patterns and  is a plus.

I and others are here to help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SusanEC10

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about grouting.

I suggest measuring the area first so that you'll know how much grout you'll actually need. If you go to where the tile adhesive and tile accessories are in the store you'll see a grout colour chart. I recommend having a good look at the colours available and seeing which one is closest to the one you prefer.   

The standard Dunlop 1.5kg bag approximately covers an area of 8 square meters. Getting two bags will give you 3kg. The best part is that the colour is set and the grout is ready to use. The Dunlop grout is rated for indoor/outdoor use and can be used for balconies. In regards to using oxide, it is difficult to judge the colour especially if you're doing two batches. It becomes even more of a problem if after a few months you need to do the same colour again.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SusanEC10
Getting Established

Hi Eric and thanks for your advice. Ideally I really want to have a go with Epoxy grout! I’m not too fussed about the colour as the tiles are dark and quite old, so my main concern is how can I change the colour of the epoxy grout before I do the grouting? 

hi @SusanEC10 

Epoxy grout is  avaliable  pre coloured which is good to buy as  if you need more than one lot  or into the future the color will be a close match hopfully.

Where as self adding oxide might have more variables that effect the colour

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change outdoor balcony grout colour?

Hi @SusanEC10,

I'm keen to assist you with sourcing an epoxy grout that can be coloured, but Dunlop 3.25kg Slate Grey Easy Clean Epoxy Grout Kit isn't going to be it, unfortunately. There are no specifications for the colouring of this grout nor suitable colourants available. Mixing colourants into products that don't provide direction to do so is really an at-your-own-risk kind of affair. I'd be happy to contact our manufacturers to discuss your questions, but as you can imagine, they are mostly closed over Christmas.

I also wanted to ensure that you'll use the correct grout for the project. What caused the damage to the grout in these areas? If any movement has caused cracking of the existing grout, then Epoxy grout is not suitable for the area. As mentioned by @Jewelleryrescue, epoxy grouts are also not suitable for all tile types and can cause staining on natural tiles, so it would be beneficial to hear what tiles you have.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your project and answering any questions you might have.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell and thanks for your input! So the balcony is very old and to be honest it really needs a complete new tiling and waterproofing, as we have had a bit of moisture on the ceiling underneath in some areas. However at the moment I am just trying to stop any leaks which may be cause by some missing grout between the tiles and thought epoxy might be best? Again not fussed about the colour but ideally wants something darker than the two Dunlop ranges. Also I don’t really care if the tiles discolour etc as they are old and hopefully one day will be replaced! But for not just want to try to stop any water from seeping in! 

0532F0D2-F6FE-4A8D-AAD0-9ED5ED859206.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SusanEC10

Thank you very much for posting a photo of your tiles. It looks like an outdoor tile with a form of rough glazed finish on top which probably makes it waterproof. However, if the grout has failed odds are this is where the rain is getting in. If time is of the essence and you need to repair it as soon as possible. I suggest removing the old grout and regrouting it with the Dunlop grout of your choice.

To waterproof the entire surface including the grout, I propose using CPC 1L Shower Plug Sealant. Shower Plug is a clear, brush-on solution that waterproofs tiles and grout. Ideal for use on new and old showers or balconies. This will prevent water from penetrating the tile and grout.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

SusanEC10
Getting Established

Hi Eric, maybe your advice is the right way to go I’m thinking! I thought sealants had to be recoated every year or so, and to read this one lasts 10 years is a bonus! Maybe I’d be better spending the money on the sealant and using the standing Dunlop grout like you mentioned before in black. Thank again for your advice! 

SusanEC10
Getting Established

6A8AC867-FB04-4FB9-9B33-6092E47C2354.jpeg

Hi Eric, just thought I’d share an update on my project. I followed your advice and after grouting applied the sealant. Not the prettiest of jobs but hoping it will give at least a few years with no water seeping through! Thanks again for you advice, this forum was a great!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects