Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should you lay Blackbutt decking if it rains?

BubblesRetreat
Just Starting Out

Should you lay Blackbutt decking if it rains?

Hi

We plan to re build our deck over the weekend. We are laying blackbutt decking boards. The board have been stored inside and will be delivered on Friday. It is forecast to start raining on Saturday and continue through the week. Not heavy rain but seems consistent for the week. We are likely to continue to lay the decking boards after work through the week. I have read that we need the deck to sit and be weathered for about 6 weeks before oiling but I am wondering if it is ok to actually lay the decking boards while it is raining. Our deck is not covered and is exposed to the elements

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should you lay Blackbutt decking if it rains?

Hello @BubblesRetreat 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about re-building your deck.

From a rebuilding point of view, I suggest waiting for the weather to get better before you replace your old decking panels. If you start taking it apart now, the decking frame will get wet and placing the new decking panels over the wet surface of the frame will cause the water to be trapped between the two pieces of timber.

Trapping the water between the two pieces of wood is not good as it can cause mould and mildew infestation. Whereas if the panels are installed dry, it will last longer and prevent moisture deterioration problems. 

My best advice is to let the decking frame totally dry off and line its surface with CAgroup 50mm x 20m Bearer Protector G-Tape. This adds an extra layer of protection to your decking frame before placing the new decking panels.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay decking (I suggest looking at part 6 regarding decking panels)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric

I really appreciate the advice

I guess we wont be laying the decking next week. The boards are being delivered on Friday. Although we will tarp them up they will be outside. If they get wet, will they still be ok if they dry out completely before we lay them?

Hello @BubblesRetreat 

It's best to install the decking panel before it dries out. Should the opportunity present itself, it's best to install it while it is fresh. If the panels are left too long curing it might warp and bend. My best advice is to keep the decking panels on a flat surface and as protected as possible. 

If the decking panels are not directly exposed to to rain and sunlight it will delay the weathering process of the panels. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you

Hi

Can we put this tape on even if it rains or does it also need to stay dry?

Thanks

Hi @BubblesRetreat,

There's no issue putting the tape down before the rain and leaving it exposed to the weather, but I wouldn't advise installing the tape when the frame is wet.

This would reduce the tape's ability to stick to the frame and would trap the moisture in the timber.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects