Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is caulking eaves a bad idea?

RaymondJ
Just Starting Out

Is caulking eaves a bad idea?

IMG_2818.jpeg

Hi, 

I’m painting my house and as I’ve painted the eaves I didn’t caulk the edge nearest the gutter (see photo). Without caulk, it’s hard to cut in a crisp clean line. However, there’s a lot of videos online proclaiming how bad it is to caulk eaves/soffits, but they’re all the USA. Is it the same here is Australia with how our gutters and roofs are designed? Or is caulking eaves ok? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is caulking eaves a bad idea?

Hello @RaymondJ 

I've seen some of those videos you are referring to and I agree with their point of view regarding leaks. If your eave is not sealed any rainwater leaking in that area will find its way to the edge and you'll be able to spot it. Whereas if it was sealed the rainwater would take a while to evaporate and would stay in the eave.

I vote not to seal the edge to allow any leaks to pass through.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @RaymondJ 

You just made me think about my eaves :smile: I dont think mine are caulked (will have a look this arvo tho) But agree with @EricL's thinking in that I would rather whatever water got in be able to run out easier. Will also have a look to see if my eaves are painted the same colour behind them (that little lip edge) as the actual underside.

Dave

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Hi @RaymondJ Eve boards usually aren't corked as they fit within a channel on the Facia-board side and then covered with quad/trim on the others sides. This is not (as far as I am aware) to prevent a more waterproof seal in case of internal water leaks, but more from an ease of construction POV. To some extent the paint will cause some level of seal on the edges anyway. But I understand the need to get that nice clean edge on your paint job. You could use a craft knife to clean up some of the rougher edges then run some Blue Painters tape which I find to be the best in preventing paint leaks if applied correctly to keep your edge as tight as possible. I would apply it on the eve's side to protect it from your dark facia colour.

My facia is colourbond so I already have a neat folder edge of the eve.

regards, Nailbag

IMG_8100.jpegIMG_8099.jpegIMG_8098.jpeg 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Nailbag 

And I just learned something new! :smile: You want to know how many times Ive thought "What are those cuts for".... :laugh:

Thank you!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects