Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Patio renovation using paving paint

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Patio renovation using paving paint

The old patio had three plus layers of various paint over it. Bringing it back to something nicer started from renovating the front door and has flowed on from there. The handrail is still yet to be redone (saving dollars for it) 

Materials

Craftright 5 Piece Wire Brush Set (Consumable)

Paint roller

Paint tray

Nutech Pave Coat paint 10L

Cutting in paint brush.

Tools

High pressure water blaster.

Wire wheel for a drill.

Ozito battery powered drill.

Makita powered drill.

Paint scraper.

Steps

Step 1

While renovating the front door and door screen I realised what a bad state the whole patio was in. It really needed some attention applied to it other then just walking over the flaky concrete. The repair of the concrete edge is in a differant project Concrete patio repair The handrails will also be a differant project one day :smile:

01 06-08-2023.jpg

I was given an Aldi High pressure water blaster that was missing a couple of nozzels :smile: Must say it worked a dream. Tho very very messy with plasticised paint bits everwhere.

02 06-08-2023.jpg

You can see how it "cleaned" but didnt really remove too much the first time using the whole round base attachment.

03 06-08-2023.jpg

Lots of going over the same area and back and then repeating.

04 06-08-2023.jpg

Slowly working my way along the concrete

05 06-08-2023.jpg

At this point I did consider paint stripper but thought of the cost in dollars and envirmentaly what the paint stripper would do to plants. Looking back I think paint stripper and hosing would be better for the enviroment mostly due to paint flakes spreading all over that area of the yard. Plasticised paint, other paint all through the garden.

06 06-08-2023.jpg

So much paint to remove....

07 06-08-2023.jpg

After the first water blast I went over the patio with a paint scraper to remove any flaky pieces I could get.

08 06-08-2023.jpg

Spent four weekend afternoons removing the old paint all up

09 06-08-2023.jpg

The paint came away easiest where people would normally walk

11 06-08-2023.jpg

The steps were the hardest to remove until you managed to get under the edge of the paint with the high pressure blaster

Step 2

Onto getting fed up with the water blaster as I had hit an impass with removing more paint. I tried a straight wire brush and paint scrapper but it didnt make a great impact. So next step was Wire disks for drills. 

15 19-08-2023.jpg

Before the wire disks

16 19-08-2023.jpg

The wire disks I used

17 19-08-2023.jpg

After the first time over the paint.

18 19-08-2023.jpg

Flattened two batteries for the Ozito drill

19 19-08-2023.jpg

So decided to use my old Makita drill. Hammer function is broken (had it since my apprenticeship in 1990) but still going strong drill wise. Wooo that makes the drill thirty plus years old!

20 19-08-2023.jpg

The difference between powered and battery... 

21 19-08-2023.jpg

Before wire brush and after

22 19-08-2023.jpg

Much closer but getting fed up removing paint...

23 19-08-2023.jpg

The state the wire disk ended in. It really wore down. 

NOTE! Do not have the powered drill spinning near clothes with the lock button on the drill going...Nasty graze/sanding of stomach :surprised: will result. 

Step 3

Last stage of removing the paint.

24 19-08-2023.jpg

Decided I had removed enough as the stuff that was left was truly bonded to the concrete. Nothing was shifting it.

26 19-08-2023.jpg

Working on the steps was time consuming and also my oomph was dying lol I was fed up with paint removing and just wanted it done!

27 19-08-2023.jpg

I think I counted 4 distinct layers of paint as I was removing it, majority of paint flecks ended up ???? In the garden 😕

28 26-08-2023.jpg

Was reasonably happy with the paint being removed

29 26-08-2023.jpg

The white you can see around the base of the posts for the handrail is a rustproof style paint. I should have left it until all the old paint was removed but didnt want the chance of the poles starting to rust as I had replaced two of them and they were not rust proofed.

30 14-09-2023.jpg

I did a bunch of research and standing in the Bunnings aisles (Chatting to the paint crew about the concrete paint) plus asking work mates about what they have used and what has worked. Looking at the types of paints at Bunnings that were generally two parts or more and costing around the $200 mark  for 4L and the paint that was suggested by work mates at $180 for 10L The one type won me over. It has held up for the past year nicely.

31 16-09-2023.jpg

Prepping for painting

32 16-09-2023.jpg

Taped up the edges to prevent bleed through

33 16-09-2023.jpg

Waited for the temp to rise and started early as the drying time was long.

Step 4

36 16-09-2023.jpg

At first I couldnt decide if I wanted to paint those tiles I had just removed the paint from under the door... In the end it was conforminality that swayed me.

37 16-09-2023.jpg

Looking back I still had a large amount of paint on the patio, firmly fixed paint but still lots really.

38 16-09-2023.jpg

I was cheering as I saw the colour change :laugh: It felt so good to finally get to paint.

39 16-09-2023.jpg

Previous owners hadnt been too careful with painting the edges, I tried to stick to exactly what they had done so it would "look" ok (note the base of the bricks)

40 16-09-2023.jpg

And just remembered why I started early, The paint had to be applied under 40deg and it was HOT when I did it (September 2023) I think I was starting to get close to that temp when I finished the first coat as the concrete was absorbing heat like crazy.

41 16-09-2023.jpg

Was a pleasure doing the steps!

42 16-09-2023.jpg

Feeling pretty happy  tho noted a few issues I would have to fix before the next coat.

43 16-09-2023.jpg44 16-09-2023.jpg

Much nicer look after the first coat.

Step 5

Ok, this is what can happen if you dont remove all the old paint. The new paint reacted with some parts of the old paint and actually lifted the old paint underneath. Was dissapointed to say the least as I hadnt expected that could happen.

45 16-09-2023.jpg

Examples of the issues, Most was around the steps and who knows what paint previous owners had used.

46 16-09-2023.jpg

It looks huge but was only in 3 smallish areas

47 16-09-2023.jpg

Was still disappointing to see.

48 16-09-2023.jpg

Solution was to sand back the flaky areas with a cork block and sandpaper.

49 16-09-2023.jpg

I figured the new paint acted like a paint remover (whatever chemicals were in it) and had "removed" whatever was going to react plus by me sanding the area it would create enough of a rough surface for the paint to bond.

50 17-09-2023.jpg

Some areas were tiny

51 17-09-2023.jpg

Lazyness on my part removing old paint is what it came down to.

52 17-09-2023.jpg

Ugh but fixable.

53 17-09-2023.jpg

Second coat

54 17-09-2023.jpg

Second coat

55 17-09-2023.jpg

Second coat56 22-09-2023.jpg

After it had rained! And still beeds a year later

57 22-09-2023.jpg

Damaged area that had been sanded and painted again.

58 22-09-2023.jpg

No issues :smile: And there hasnt been in a year. 

Things I have learnt form this project

-Prep work.

-Follow instructions of the paint especoially what temperture to apply the paint at.

-remove as much as possible of the old paint first then remove some more.

-worth it tho, even with all the issues paint stripping and prep work.

54 17-09-2023.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Patio renovation using paving paint

Hi @Dave-1 

Thanks for sharing the photos and the steps you took to revamp your patio. It looks fantastic and it's always a good sign when water beads on the surface which means that you've properly sealed the top and waters not getting through. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

AFternoon @EricL 

:smile: Thank you. I so want to get this project finished with a hand railing. And right up until this week I was going for a timber slatted one much like my privacy screen. Then I saw an open wire with timbertop one and went "Oh yeah" lol Think I may do some looking around again and see if I can change my mind.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Great job @Dave-1 what a huge difference it has made and a great investment of time and money to the property. I look forward to the update with your Balustrade installed.

I've done a few fence balustrades now with stainless wire and a timber top, and if you decide to go down that path as your suggesting, I recommend considering Merbau over Cyprus. Cyprus looks great when first installed, but despite multiple layers over the best clear finishes it get splitting apart. I ended up having to fill the gaps and then use a coloured coating to cover it up which totally ruined the finish I was after.

Nailbag

IMG_3427.jpeg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Nailbag 

Yeah, must admit it was your handrail that had me reconsidering what type of handrail to install for my patio :smile: Its not urgent urgent but something I want to finalise and cross off the list :smile:

One of the main reasons I wanted a slatted solid look was to keep the afternoon sun off the concrete and walls (it hammers the front of the house and absorbs the heat like crazy) and the second one is for privacy. My neighbours across the street would sit out their front patio and it felt like they would just stare lol Probarly they wernt, but the feeling was there and I love having something doing  a double duty of heat insulation and privacy at the same time.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects