Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need hard coat recommendations for acrylic painted surface

BeijaFlorCA
Finding My Feet

Need hard coat recommendations for acrylic painted surface

Hi there! So a bit of a different type of project: I am painting concrete stepping stones with "Spanish Talavera Tile" designs, using acrylic paint. I want to apply a hard-coat finish of some kind, to better protect the paint from foot traffic, with an outdoor waterproofing finish on top of that hard coat, to make it weather-resistant ..... Any recommendations? :smile: 

2024-07-21 00.00.47.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hard Coat recommendations for acrylic painted surface

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BeijaFlorCA. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing tiles.

Unfortunately, I'm unaware of any clear protective coatings designed for such purposes. There are clear trafficable coatings designed for porous concrete, but it would be unknown how they would go over your acrylic paint. I suspect they won't bind adequately to the paint. If you did choose to use one of these products, I recommend doing a test section on one of the tiles to verify the results.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Hard Coat recommendations for acrylic painted surface

Thank you! I will definitely post results. My hope is that since I painted the full surface (the brown "frame" is also paint) that a "hard coat" sealer meant for acrylic paint on other surfaces will work.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects