Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop ground water coming out from unconnected pipe?

approachmhn
Having an Impact

How to stop ground water coming out from unconnected pipe?

I have an old pipe that is not connected anywhere which is next to storm water pipe that runs towards road. 
The issue is when it rains, water comes out of this unconnected pipe and ground gets very damp in that area.

recently I dug that area and got plumber. Plumber put a cap to the pipe and asked me to monitor if water still gets out of  pipe when it rains.

i see it still slowly fills up the area meaning water is also coming around that pipe.

This unconnected pipe is under driveway which is concrete and solid. No gravel around pipe. So, I suspect the damage to pipe is very near to the opening.

my questions is

1) how do I check the damage

IMG_6357.jpeg

to pipe?

2) if pipe is not leaking or if I can fix that leakage, how do I connect unconnected pipe to storm water pipe so water would not flow back. Unconnected pipe is around 1-2 inch below storm water pipe. 

Appreciate your help.

Regards.

Re: How to stop ground water coming out from unconnected pipe?

Thanks @Nailbag 

All the water from end connection is getting into clay pipe. 
I hosed down from the other side, and I see water flowing through the clay pipe. 
I don’t see any leak from plastic wrapped pipe. 
I also put the hose into the opening in clay pipe. I could run the hose nearly 3 metres on both sides into the pipe. 
when I turned on the water, it just flows through clay pipe.

Also I noticed that  plastic wrapped pipe is not hard one like PVC. looks like it is soft like an agi pipe. But not sure.

that little pool of water you see in photo is because of rain. I covered the dug area with tarpaulin but somehow rain water seeped through.

Evening @approachmhn 

Mmmm maybe a little more gentle excavation is needed. Trying to figure out where pipes are going is problematic as we wernt the ones who "used common sense" and installed the pipes lol

The description you give does make me think of old drainage pipe next to foundations but no way could you be sure until you find where it connects up to.  A plumber and a camera would help in finding what pipes are what. Do any of the three pipes in your photo join up together? 

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @approachmhn That wrapped pipe if its black or white with slots in it, then is an ag pipe.

That capped pipe that was leaking water when it rains is definitely connected to either an agri system or storm water. If agri, it will be from. your property somewhere. If it's stormwater, it's possibly from either your property or even someone else's. I wouldn't have thought so myself, but a mate of mine has storm water outlets from neighbouring properties within his. And apparently decades ago this was common as ridiculous as it seams. 

As @Dave-1 mentioned you might have to Dig up more ground, but to be honest this could go on forever. So I would go with his suggestion to get your plumber or one that has a camera to investigate.

Nailbag

Thanks @Dave-1  and @Nailbag 

Plumber will come and check tomorrow. Will update after his inspection. 

If the water is coming from neighbours property, and they are not ready to fix. Is there any option to deal with this?

With my neighbour’s permission, I hosed out water on neighbours side. Also, directly into storm water pipe. I don’t see any water coming out on the kerb side. But I see water coming out on my side through the pipe.

when I tried to talk, they were not ready to accept. They said all good on their side.

Any suggestions will help. Thanks

Afternoon @approachmhn 

Mmmmm Did you get a plumber to look at your pipes? If so you could hit them up for the ruling and where to go from there.

Otherwise -

-Your water company you are with, Id contact them and ask what is the rules. They may have FAQ on their website

-Contact your local council and ask, if they have rules and who enforces them. They may have FAQ on their website

If these arnt satisfactory then finding where the water crosses the boundry may be an option but only the last option. Working out how and where to fix it would be the least head achy id say.

We have heard that older systems did "share" pipes when they were not supposed to (years ago) maybe that could be a reason.

Dave

Hi @Dave-1 ,

plumber was here today. He did camera inspection on my property as well as neighbours.

Neighbour’s old terracotta pipe is blocked towards the kerbside and broken at some places. 
plumber told neighbours water might be just soaking into the ground and I might be catching that water. Cant say definitely. 
He gave me 4 options:

1) Block the clay pipe and simply leave it. Water getting into pipe might just get soaked into ground and issue might resolve.

2) Remove all clay pipes from the ground. Block the end of clay pipe that goes under deck.

Dig a pit and pump water by connecting to storm water down pipe next to it.

3)  Take out deck panels, dig under the deck and connect a pvc pipe. where ever he gets certain angle,  connect it to existing storm water pipe.

4) put a new agi drain till the kerb side.

he said option 3&4 are expensive compared to 1 & 2.

Not sure which ones to go with.

any suggestions please?

Thanks

IMG_6577.jpeg

Afternoon @approachmhn 

Yeah thought it was heading towards those scenerios...

That comes down to pretty much your call.

Easy option with might be an answer for short term.

Harder option answer for long term.

For my place I chose the harder option :smile: I dont regret it but it was a large job, check out my projects for stormwater rectification. I dont worry at all anymore about stormwater. And it also has future capacity if I ever want to extend the drain.

Maybe have a think about it and list things you want to do in the yard that the solutions would impact (shed guttering, concrete path, concrete slab) that may help decide what option to take. Do you have a preference already? There are no wrong answers, everyone comes up against these things. It is what YOU want and are comfortable with :smile:

Dave

Thanks @Dave-1 .

My first choice is option 3. 

second choice is option 2 but I am afraid the pump might be too loud.

Any idea about how loud pump might be. And also if we need to do any  maintenance?

Afternoon @approachmhn 

The pump wouldnt be loud as its generally submerged.

And yes there will be maintence on it.

At least checking it and pulling it out of the water every month or so. Also depends on how much water is flowing into the pit will determine the size of pump. Think everything form a pond pump and upwards depending on how much water soak into the area. You will need a float switch for it as well. 

You could always dig a hole/trench and then see how fast it fills by itself and then go from there.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects