Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop ground water coming out from unconnected pipe?

approachmhn
Having an Impact

How to stop ground water coming out from unconnected pipe?

I have an old pipe that is not connected anywhere which is next to storm water pipe that runs towards road. 
The issue is when it rains, water comes out of this unconnected pipe and ground gets very damp in that area.

recently I dug that area and got plumber. Plumber put a cap to the pipe and asked me to monitor if water still gets out of  pipe when it rains.

i see it still slowly fills up the area meaning water is also coming around that pipe.

This unconnected pipe is under driveway which is concrete and solid. No gravel around pipe. So, I suspect the damage to pipe is very near to the opening.

my questions is

1) how do I check the damage

IMG_6357.jpeg

to pipe?

2) if pipe is not leaking or if I can fix that leakage, how do I connect unconnected pipe to storm water pipe so water would not flow back. Unconnected pipe is around 1-2 inch below storm water pipe. 

Appreciate your help.

Regards.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop ground water coming out from unconnected pipe?

Hi @approachmhn,

Thank you for your question about stopping groundwater from coming out of an unconnected pipe that runs under your driveway.

As you've capped off the other end of the pipe, I believe that you have groundwater tracking along the outside of the pipe and congregating at its end. 

Unfortunately, there is no great way of dealing with the issue of water tracking along the pipe without removing the concrete, and I don't believe it is actually coming through the pipe so connecting it to the stormwater pipe is unlikely to help. 

It is likely that you have clay in this area that will not allow the water to drain freely. I propose you dig what is called a soakaway underneath this spot. There are a number of videos online that show how these operate. You might like to have a look on YouTube for some examples.

If there is clay as I suspect, you'll get the best result possible by digging through the layer of clay to more freely draining soil. Once the hole is dug, fill the hole with drainage gravel and compact with a tamper to create a pit that allows the water to drain through the clay layer and soak away as the name suggests. Once tamped and working, backfill with soil to cover.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts, @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue, @Nailbag, @JoeAzza.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @approachmhn,  I think you need to locate where this capped pipe is coming from first, try putting dye and water down each drain pipe one at a time to try and pinpoint the location, other than that @JacobZ  suggest might be required, another way is to insert a drain camera to to see where the pipe extends to, however this would be at a considerable cost.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @approachmhn 

When I was "fixing" my stormwater pipes up and fixing my water ingress to the garage I found what I believe dto be a stormwater pipe. This pipe had 10cm slits along the length of it and was next to the foundation wall with a sheet of plastic for "waterproofing" the foundation. Plastic had perished, pipe was blocked so I ended up rerouting it and installing a new section. The old pipe still continues up under the house following the edge of the foundation. The plumber told me this was the way they drained water away from the foundations. As in subsurface water.

There is no end to my pipe as it goes up the center of my house (have plans to excavate it one day for a room and will chase the pipe back as I go)

If you dig down on the other sid eof your driveway to the same depth you may find this pipe. Then you will have a better idea of what it is and where it should go. The plumber should have had a camera and put it up the pipe to see how far it goes or if its compacted because of clay. Thats what happened to my pipes) You could feed a hose up the pipe and see the distance it will travel. Just remove the hose head is all.

Fixing water ingress issues in garage is the project I did and step three shows you the pipe I am talking about. (mine was also full of tree roots)  I was told it should be connected to the stormwater piping tho never found out where even tho I dug the whole length of pipe up.

Dave

Thank you @Dave-1 , @JoeAzza  and @JacobZ .

i have done camera inspection and it does end up just 2m away and can’t track further.

All my down pipes are connected to new pvc pipes and run till end to the road.

the disconnected pipe goes under  driveway and under patio I think. All these area is concreted till patio brick wall and I can see water behind patio wall when it rains heavily. And I feel that water slowly comes out of this disconnected pipe because water drains on the other side slowly.

the land slopes towards the area where you see disconnected pipe.

I could feel few roots in it but it gets enough water out when it rains.

So, as a first step I am thinking to dig trench further and get the pipe connected to storm water pipe where the level of both pipe evens out.

this way I feel atleast 90% of the water will be going out.

if it still pools lots of water, then I would do what @JacobZ suggested above.

Does that sound good? Please suggest

i can’t find the end of pipe as I have tried camera inspection, also tried pressure wash through the pipe. 
when I did pressure wash, enough water went in and slowly started coming back.

@Dave-1  You are an inspiration. All I need is your reference for both water ingress and this issue. Thank you.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @approachmhn,

Your plan sounds good to me, keep us in the loop with how it goes.

I'd be happy to assist further if anything new pops up, so don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Its sounding like you have root damage that extends well past where you have been able to feel them with your hand @approachmhn. This would explain why high pressure water at one end is of a lot lower pressure at the other. Roots blocking the pipe and breaks throughout is causing the water to divert out of the pipe and seal into the surrounding ground.

Depending on the extent of the root damage, it is possible to have them professionally removed and the pipe repaired with an internal liner, but this is very exy and there is a cost to do the investigation. But might still be worth a quote in any case and then you have @JacobZ suggestion off a soakaway system. These are very effective and have helped a mate install 2 off these in his front yard. he lives on the side of a hill and is effected by natural underground water rising.

Regards, Nailbag

Evening @approachmhn 

:smile: Thank you for your comment.

I like your solution, its what I would do and I would keep an eye on the area as well, just to make sure it dosnt get too boggy/wet.

Dave

Hi @Dave-1,

on the higher side of the house, I dug along old storm water pipe and found this (pic attached)
As you mentioned in your comment above, I see a plastic wrapped around a pipe and running till end of house. Then connected to a clay pipe. 
is this how your Drain pipe looked?

Because when I hose down the soil along the length of the house next to fence, all the water gets into this pipe and flows all the way to the lower I.e. other side of the house next to driveway and comes out of unconnected pipe.

Looks like it acts as a French drain.

IMG_6577.jpeg

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @approachmhn, if plastic is actually wrapped around the pipe and not underneath or off the the side, it sounds like they were attempting to prevent water from coming out of it instead of replacing it, hence why the water is leaching. Do you have any photos?

Also is there any water coming out of the end connection in to the clay pipe?

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects