Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain treated Pine to look like Merbau?

Goodo9980
Finding My Feet

How to stain treated Pine to look like Merbau?

I have a deck that is Merbau and has been treated with Cabot's Aquadeck Merbau. I now want to stain the supports, that I believe are treated pine, to be a similar colour. What is the best way to achieve this?20240826_120828.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Staining treated pine to look like merbau

Hello @Goodo9980 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about staining treated pine to look like merbau.

I propose testing the Cabot's 250ml Merbau Water Based Deck And Exterior Timber Stain on the pine surface. I suggest testing it on a portion of the deck that's not directly visible from the front. Please make sure to follow the application instructions and to wait at least two hours before applying the second coat. Have a good look at the finish and if you are satisfied with the stain, you can then get the larger can and commit the rest of the supports.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric,

I'll give that a go and see how I get on.

K8ie
Just Starting Out

Hello

Did you try this method and if so how did it turn out? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @K8ie 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us.

Let me tag @Goodo9980 to make them aware of your question. It would be interesting to find out if the stain on the pine was satisfactory. However, I encourage you to test a small sample on your own deck so that you'll have firsthand information if the finish is to your liking. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @K8ie,

So far I've only got to the point of testing some sample areas. It looks promising. 

I'll hopefully get the rest done this weekend so can let you know after that

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects