Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to set up Grid Connect chicken coop lighting automation?

craigricker
Finding My Feet

How to set up Grid Connect chicken coop lighting automation?

I have installed an Arlec 5m LED strip lighting kit into a new chicken coop/run i've created.

I wish to be able to program the lighting so it provides 16 hours of lighting to the chickens.

This equates to actually coming on to provide the additional hours of light in the morning until sunrise.

Basically I need the following automation:

1. 16 hours before sunset come on

2. 30 minutes after sunrise turn off

However there is only an option in the app to do '5 hours before sunset'.

Can anyone see another way to do this?

Re: How to set up Grid Connect chicken coop lighting automation?

Your example is correct.

The app timing is limited so I’ve raised a feature request.

Will have to do via home assistant instead.

@craigricker Arlec will only Implement features if they come available via Tuya as Grid Connect is a skin on the Tuya Platform.

Home Assistant will give you the most control and functionality you will need to bring any devices over to Smart Life App though to he able to integrate them into Home Assistant. 

If you have not looked in to HA yet I suggest a standalone system either a raspberry PI or an older x86/64 computer and run in native as x86/64 CLI it is the most stable way to do it. 

Plenty of youtube videos on this. 

@craigricker 

Lookie here, I just setup one of my TP Link Kaza smart plugs whilst I reboot Home Assistant and you have more control over time limit.

Screenshot_20230629_205119_Kasa.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects