Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal bamboo fence panels?

Mo2
Growing in Experience

How to seal bamboo fence panels?

Hi I am seeking to apply sealer/color on bamboo fence panels. 

kindly suggest the best colour/sealer brand and can I paint with the spray gun or I have to use brush. 

Thanks in advance 

IMG_5162.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Applying sealer to Bamboo fence Panels

Hi @Mo2,

Unfortunately, bamboo is quite a challenging material to work with when it comes to applying sealers or stains, as there aren't any coatings that specifically state they are suitable for bamboo. Bamboo has a natural waxy coating that makes it resistant to most treatments, preventing stains or sealers from penetrating effectively.

Given the wear and greying of your panels, applying a coating may result in an uneven, patchy finish, especially where some areas may still have their natural oils intact while others are more weathered. Because of this, I can't recommend any particular product for bamboo.

You might consider lightly sanding the surface to remove some of the grey and worn areas, though even then, results can vary. It's always a good idea to test on a small, inconspicuous area first to see how the material responds. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects