Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to brighten up an outdoor concreted area with floor paint?

MJM
Community Newcomer

How to brighten up an outdoor concreted area with floor paint?

I have a gloomy undercover utility area beside my house used for storing bikes, cleaning materials and for over-wintering out door furniture. This area also acts as the entrance to our garden so has high foot-traffic but no vehicle access. I want to brighten it up with concrete paint creating a sort of mural on the floor. What preparation is necessary before painting to prevent the paint rubbing off?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Brightening up an outdoor concreted area with floor paint

Hello @MJM 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting your concrete floor.

If the floor is going to experience heavy foot traffic, I propose looking at the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Battleship Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint or the Berger Jet Dry 4L Heavy Duty Smoke Grey Gloss Paving Paint. These paint products are designed to go onto concrete surfaces and provide a tough painted surface. There is also the Dulux Concrete and Paving paint as a third alternative. Most of these paints are in a darker shade as they are made for flooring use.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your utility area? This will give our members a better idea of its configuration. We can then offer recommendations on possible ways to brighten it up.

Here is a link to our best advice: How can I paint my garage floor?

I also suggest having a look at these discussions - Epoxy concrete floor for large shed by @CSParnell and Epoxy garage floor transformation by @maknilsin 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects