Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to run water and taps around a block?

jw3
Finding My Feet

How to run water and taps around a block?

My partner and I have just purchased a block of land and are looking to run water around the perimeter to put taps for the garden. We’re getting a water meter installed for our raw water which will be used for the garden. We’re hiring a trencher to lay the pipe in. 

1) how deep should I be running the water pipe? 

2) the block is quiet large, half an acre. What size piping should we use to run the water around the block? 
3) we’re not sure how many taps we will be putting in as of yet. Maybe just add 2/3 and if we need, run more pipe and add more later on. 

and anything else I may need to do during this process. 
thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to run water and taps around a block?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jw3. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing water pipes and taps.

Typically, water pipes need to be at least 300mm deep and, if vehicles are travelling over them, 450mm. However, it’s essential to check your local regulations, as they might have specific requirements regarding the depth of water pipes. I'd recommend speaking with the plumber who will be installing the pipes, as they'll be the ones signing off on the job. 

For a large block, I'd recommend using a 25mm diameter pipe. This size will ensure adequate water flow and pressure to support your three taps. Provided the taps are not all being used simultaneously, the 25mm pipe will support additional outlets.

Besides these considerations, make sure to use high-quality materials such as Vinidex poly for your pipes and Philmac fittings to ensure durability. It’s also a good idea to install shut-off valves at various points to isolate sections of the system for maintenance or repairs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to run water and taps around a block?

Thank you for the reply! Much appreciated 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects