Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace window with weatherboard?

emilyb1
Getting Established

How to replace window with weatherboard?

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone can help me with what the next step is. The previous owners removed a window and got this far (see picture) and I'm looking to finish it this project. Any direction would be great.  Thanks in advance

IMG_8991.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace window with weatherboard?

Hello @emilyb1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about covering your window.

Did the former owners give you a building permit regarding closing that window? Removing a window will generally affect the building's structure, and structural alterations often require a building permit. I propose engaging the services of a builder as they will be able to close that window and restructure the wall back to code.

Looking at the picture you posted, it appears that the former owner has put in some timber studs and has installed builder's film which has deteriorated. This will need to be replaced, but before that your builder will probably need to inspect the work that has been done on the window frame to make sure that its structurally sound.

There are several types of weatherboard available, I suggest bringing a sample to the store to make sure you get the correct one.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @emilyb1 

Reading through @EricL's suggestions I would be following them as they are very close to what I would be doing myself. At the very least to check out the wall with a qualified builder just to make sure it has been done right. Taking a small section or even tracing the end piece with a pencil and paper to Bunnings to see if it can be matched would be my next step. Is that a spare piece I see on the ground?

Having a second look at the photo I am wondering if those vertical studs are a little far apart? Do you know the distance?

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @emilyb1 

Domestic windows are installed without them being load bearing. Hence why you can simply remove the internal and external trims, cut the fixing nails and remove them safely. 

If not being replaced then simply filling the space with a timber frame using construction pine as the previous owner has started is correct. How well it’s been done is in question. Stud (vertical Timbers) are spaced at 450mm centres. If too far apart as @Dave-1 has noticed then there will be less strength and fixing points to the internal and external gladding. Just adding extra ones in between will fix that issue. More is better than less. 

The insulation foil is very badly damaged indicating the opening to the elements has been very lengthy. Rain water may have impacted the integrity of the timber frame but more importantly the plasterboard and any electrical fittings below. So it will need to be replaced as @EricL recommended

The boards look to be a rusticated profile but taking a sample to the trade desk as Dave suggests will get it identified. This will also highlight if they  have any special fixing profile at the back of them like some newer weatherboards have. It makes it more challenging to remove partial boards and the last new row meeting the old. To make it a little easier the replacement boards should finish at the right end corner stop, so the short boards need to come off. 

To access the area you will need to consider some form of safe working platforms or scaffolding. 

I would class this project as one suited to a very experienced DIYr with quite a range of hand and Powertools. 

So unless you are up to the task I would be inclined to take @EricL advice on having the work performed by either a builder or possibly a handyman service with a proven track record of similar level projects. 

In the meantime you should cover the open area with a tarp or builders plastic film to protect it from further damage. 

Regards Nailbag

emilyb1
Getting Established

That's a great tip, I'll definitely consult a builder to double check everything. Thanks Dave :smile:

emilyb1
Getting Established

Thank you for the advice and recommendations. I really appreciate this! 

emilyb1
Getting Established

Thank you Eric!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects