Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What size steel fence posts for EkoDeck Castellated panel fence?

GJU
Just Starting Out

What size steel fence posts for EkoDeck Castellated panel fence?

Hi

I'm looking at installing a side fence using EkoDeck Castellated Panels. 3600 high x 14.4 m long.  Since fence will start about 400mm off the ground, the actual panel height is 3200.  I'm looking at installing the panels horizontally on in-ground steel posts, not vertically. 

I believe the posts should allow 1/3 extra length to be cemented in-ground, so am looking at posts about 4.8m high (3.6m+1.2m in ground), and that 50x50 square posts are the go. 

Assuming the above is correct, can someone advise what gauge/thickness the posts should be? 

Also EkoDeck say the spacing between posts should be 600 Max, which seems overkill, since the normal EkoDeck screening boards specify 900mm spacing, which seems more reasonable.  Can anyoine comment on the spacing as well? 

Thank you in advance for any insight! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What size Steel fence posts for EkoDeck Castellated panel fence.

Hello @GJU 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about putting up an Ekodeck castellated fence.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion How to install Ekodeck castellated panels onto retaining wall? by @Neil1984. I've had a good look at the square posts available and most of them go up to 2.4 meters only. However, because of the height of your proposed fence, I suggest engaging the services of a fencing professional. I also suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council regarding fence height limits and construction.  

Unfortunately, the installation brochure specifically states that the panel can't be installed in a horizontal plane. In regards to post spacing, it was also suggested to use 900mm spacing. I propose reconsidering the direction of your installation so that you can still use the Ekodeck panels.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects