Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace uneven pavers and build a deck?

TaraL
Getting Established

How to replace uneven pavers and build a deck?

Good morning DIY community,

Our house was built as an investment property, and the previous owners cut a few corners. This includes our backyard, which is on the smaller side, and almost entirely paved, with the pavers being quite uneven around the edges in particular. I have pulled them out in some spots to create garden beds, and they have been laid directly onto a base of sand. Perhaps because of this, we get a lot of weeds, also causing the pavers to get more uneven when we pull them out as it creates gaps.

We are hoping to create a low maintenance space without needing to routinely pouring poison into the ground. We are thinking of installing a deck in parts of the area, and then have a more natural space with mulched garden areas.

I'm not sure how best to approach the project: Should we pull out the pavers or just build the deck on top of them, and remove them where we want garden beds? There is a drain in the pavers, so I'm not sure what to do with this if we remove them?

Thank you,

Tara

This the layout of the space:

backyard.png

Roughly, the idea is a deck like this marked out in green to maximise the sunny part and avoid existing drains:

backyard-roughidea.png

And this is an example of the pavers:
20241021_102517.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing uneven pavers and building a deck

Hello @TaraL 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a low-level deck on your pavers. Looking at the photo you posted, I believe that it's possible to build a low-level deck in that area. However, I suggest removing the pavers and recycling them for another project. In this manner you can level the ground properly and apply a fall so that water drains away from the area. I recommend having a look at these guides -How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. These guides will give you a general idea of what is involved when building a low-level deck.

The best part is that you can use some of your pavers as footing if you're going to be using Builders Edge Pedestal Feet

Here is a link to ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular low-level deck projects

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace uneven pavers and build a deck?

Hi @TaraL 

at this stage I can’t offer anything further to the great suggestions made by @EricL

it will be definitely be a much easier project when the pavers have been removed. If you can repurpose there is a market for 2nd hand ones or as I have done before free if they help lift them up. 

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to replace uneven pavers and build a deck?

Good Evening @TaraL 

Im with @EricL and @Nailbag with removing the pavers to start the project. It will make life a lot easier starting from scratch.

Pavers always come in handy and I am sure you will find something to use them floor, Best part they dont have a use by date. :smile:

As the deck will be low, make sure you keep the air vents around the base of the brickwork free so air can circulate.

Something else to keep in mind as I was just going over your photos and design is the base of your fence. Try not to have a mount up of soil next to it as it will speed the decay process for the posts. 

I like stirrups in concrete over the pedestal feet, I think its a more solid way to install anything. Its just a personal preferance as both ways are ok.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects