Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair missing mortar in bricks?

bernard1
Just Starting Out

How to repair missing mortar in bricks?

IMG_1703.jpeg

IMG_1702.jpeg

Hi Bunnings community,

I have these holes in the bricks outside my sliding door. I checked them and the holes depth varies. Some are shallow and some are deep. I am not sure what cause them and I want to repair them. I have use dry mortar mix and filled them. Can someone pls let me know what is causing for the holes to happen. Is this something to be concerned about? And what is the best remdies.  Thank you in advance. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: deep holes or misisng mortar in bricks.

Good Evening @bernard1 

Sometimes mortar does wear away with time tho it looks like yours may be sitting above a cavity of some kind. Not the end of the world :smile:

Instead of a dry mortar mix I would try using one of the repair tubes of Mortafil Just match your colour and use a 9" Caulking Gun 

I would suggest to make sure they match (size of tube against the gun) is about all. Ive only used fixed tubes for silastic or liquid nails type before.

As to the cavity underneath the steps. Can you get underneath to have a look at all? The reason I am not concerend is I cant see any cracks so figure the steps are secure :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair missing mortar in bricks?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bernard1. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing mortar.

It's great to see you've already received some helpful advice from @Dave-1.

The holes you're seeing are likely caused by the mortar between the bricks breaking down over time, which is quite common in older homes or where weather exposure is high. Mortar joints can deteriorate due to moisture or simply age, causing the material to crumble or erode.

You've done the right thing by filling them with mortar mix. However, for a more lasting solution, it’s best to remove any loose or compromised mortar around the affected areas before filling them with fresh mortar. This will help the new material bond better and ensure a stronger, more durable repair.

It’s generally not something to be too concerned about unless the issue is widespread or the damage is affecting the structural integrity of the wall. If the problem is isolated to a few areas, it can usually be fixed without issue. But if you notice that large sections of mortar are failing, or if bricks themselves are becoming loose, it might be worth consulting a professional.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects