Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair gate post rotted at the bottom?

worldonlyflower
Just Starting Out

How to repair gate post rotted at the bottom?

Dear community, 

I have one gate post rotten at the bottom (refer attached photos), the terrain of my driveway is with the post at lower side so whenever it rains the water will flow into the gap of the post bottom. 

The post is bolted to the wall so it might not be necessary to replace it.

I would like seek some professional guidance on what products is best suitable to fill the gap at the rotten area of the post? 

The solution needs to be water resistance. Thank you in advance! IMG86.jpgIMG87.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gate post rotted at the bottom - repair advice please

Hi @worldonlyflower,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Ideally, you would replace the timber, but if the weight of the post is well-supported by the bolts into the wall, you should be fine to simply cover the gap as a temporary repair.

I'd suggest using Sikaflex 11FC to cover the gap. You might need to place some Joint Filler Foam in the gap before applying the Sikaflex 11FC to act as a backing to stop the filler falling through.

Check out How to fill a joint in a concrete slab and How To Silicone a Gap for similar project advice.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects