Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a concrete staircase?

Honest52
Building a Reputation

How to repair a concrete staircase?

How to repair concrete staircase? The rock is moved and foundations cracked. It's very heavy, over 120kg.

20240913_091937.jpg

20240913_092152.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repair concrete staircase

Hello @Honest52 

Due to lean and the fact that the base of the staircase has been compromised, I can only suggest breaking the concrete side rail apart rebuilding from scratch. I recommend using a Trojan 8lb 3.6kg Fibreglass Sledgehammer along with a Cyclone 1800 x 25mm Hex Crowbar. Using these two tools, you should be able to break apart the concrete into smaller pieces allowing you to carry them away. It will be necessary to dig a new foundation for the new concrete side rail as the current one has been compromised. 

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to build a Breeze block wall? by @roseche. There is an excellent diagram of how the post and brick footings are laid out. Some of the techniques used are applicable to your project. My best suggestion is to investigate very well if the stairs are still in good condition and that its foundation has not been compromised. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to repair a concrete staircase?

Afternoon @Honest52 

😕 What a pain, I can be fixed but a resonable amount of work will be involved....

I agree with @EricL 's suggestions 100% in removing the side rail and replacing it. I also would follow his instructions to check the condition of the stairs at this point.

Now the good part :smile: 

Once you have broken up the old side rails and preppered the area you get to decide on what to replace the rails with. They may be needed to hold whatever is under the steps in place so I would factor that in while removing the old concrete and ideas for something new.

I have / am just in the process of building some gabion steps, and was thinking how about a gabion basket either side of the stairs to do the same job?

You could go for a stepped baskets or for a tall one that gives an imposing entrance to the steps.

I am thinking of something along this shape for the gabion walls either side of the steps. Freestanding gabion walls The width will need to be a little higher unless you refill the garden beds the way they are atm.

Here is a picture of the side of my steps to give you an idea what it would look like.

01 08-09-2024.jpg

Your steps would have a wire look to it. You could also reuse your smashed up concrete within the baskets.

02 08-09-2024.jpg

You dont need the size basket I have done, I am just showing it as an example. Pretty much the width from the vertical level to the corner is what I am thinking for your walls width.

Note depending on how you would step the baskets (The top, the bottom all need to be the same level to be solid) you may need more fill for the baskets.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to repair a concrete staircase?

Hi @Honest52 

I would have to agree with @EricL that your best solution to start with would be to demolish rather than try and save the concrete stringers. 

From the photo it appears at least they haven't had any impact on the stairs themselves, meaning they were cosmetic not a structural requirement. If this is the case, you have a range of options such as building new side concrete stringers but being more expensive, higher skillset and labour intensive or install less involved hardwood timber ones. You could also consider along similar lines to @Dave-1 suggestion to build or have built mortared stone stringers similar to this style below along my driveway.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-14 at 9.06.06 PM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects