Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need ideas for updating pool area

NikkiJohno
Just Starting Out

Need ideas for updating pool area

We're wanting to update the pool area to create a clean, inviting, kid friendly space. The whole area is pebblecrete, it's rough on the feet and the stone area is too tempting for the kids not to throw them in the pool. It's not particularly level in some areas. We are trying to figure out the best ways to either deck the area, pave or tile. How we might level it and some ideas on easy ways to do all of this. My husband was a tiler and a stone mason back in the day so is handy on the tools. Any advice, ideas and recommendations would be appreciated. We also want to redo the coping tiles as a few are lose and refurbish the pool floor so it's smoother and blue, so any additional help and info on DIY options would also be appreciated :).

1000043124.jpg

1000043125.jpg

1000043126.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need ideas for updating pool area

Hello @NikkiJohno 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about updating your pool area.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to build a new deck where current pavers are? by @ricm. This is an excellent example of a low-level deck being installed right next to a pool. You can see that even a curved pool can be accommodated in a decking environment. Yours will be much easier as your pool is rectangular and there will be no need to put curves in your decking frame.    

My only other thoughts are to tile over the existing pebblecrete or break it apart and put in large 600x600 pavers to change the look of the area.

You might also like to check out our Top 10 most popular low-level deck projects and Top 10 most popular deck projects for some examples of what others have achieved.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @NikkiJohno 

Now that will be an exciting space yet to come! I already like the style of the pool :smile:

A few ideas come to mind but they are going to be labour intensive :surprised:

@EricL 's suggestion of pulling up the pebblecrete is on my list as well.

- Remove the palm trees, that will free up space and then remove the gravel and deck that area, I like the idea of Erics with the paving after removing the pebblecrete.

- Soundproof and timber screen the pool pump, making sure you leave maintenance access to service it.

- Do you want to keep the poolyard the same size?

- Change some of the pool fence over to vertical sleepers with the same spacing between the sleepers as the bars now. It will give a solid look to an area.

- I like the copping you have around the pool, id be tempted to repair it if possible.

- Your pool is a concrete pool? I have only seen a mate try and repair his fibreglass pool and he ran into issues. He got professionals in I think in the end.

- Last idea but probarlly the most important is lighting and I mean indirect lighting. Something that isnt flooding the area but highlights parts of the pool area. If you consider that when you are sketching up your plans/ideas it will make the place "pop" :smile:

"Your husband was a stonemason" Ohhhh yeah! Was just reading over your words and that jumped out at me. So will add this in. Some rectangular sandstone pillars standing vertically. Something that the top is flat but not tiimbered so drinks and plates can be placed on them. Ground flat mounted lights that highlight the sides of the pillars but not super bright.

Dave

R4addZ
Getting Established

One of the things I did round a pool was to buy two terracotta elephants which I piped into the pool return line with a diverter valve. I used retic pipe to go up inside the elephants and out the trunks giving two spouts of water into the pool. If I was doing it in your situation, I would put them in the flower bed so they don't impede current access and if you use terracotta, remember to waterproof them as terracotta will dissolve in the rain. Obviously it doesn't have to be elephants (the ones I used were about 600-700mm high with the trunks about 100mm higher). I also used some small reticulation manual shutoff valves in the feed to each elephant so that I could balance the output of each elephant.

As for the paving, I like liquid limestone as a solution, looks good stays clean if sealed and if not, easily cleaned with a pressure washer.

Another/alternative possibility to the elephants is a waterfall wall down the end of the pool where it abuts the wall.

R4addZ
Getting Established

Just another point as I forgot to mention that if you want to refinish the inside of the pool, you need to consult an expert because depending on the hydro dynamic pressure in the area, emptying the pool can cause it to "float" out of the ground (think of concrete boats).

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @NikkiJohno 

my solution would be to turn to your hubby's skillset and rip up the pebblecrete and replace it with a stone inlay. Something like a a sealed sandstone would give a great smooth and cool easy to walk on surface, though probably the more expensive over a tile. But would definitely deliver a beautiful finish to your pool area and solve the issues.

The main point of consideration is how to remove the pebblecrete without disturbing the structural integrity of the pool. 

Regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects