Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint external render walls?

pash81
Growing in Experience

How to repaint external render walls?

Hi, planning to change the colour of the external render walls from dark grey to white/neutral colour.

How do I repaint? Do I need a coat of primer or do I just do 2 coats of paint on top the existing paint?

Which paint to use?

IMG-20240816-WA0004.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repaint external render walls

Hi @pash81,

Thank you for your question about repainting an external rendered wall.

As it looks like the previously painted surface is in fairly good condition, you can simply paint 2 coats of Dulux 4L Vivid White Low Sheen Weathershield Exterior Paint over the existing paint in your chosen colour. If you find that the colour is still poking through from beneath, simply apply a third coat.

I'd suggest using a high quality, long nap roller such as this Uni-Pro 270mm 21mm Nap Masonry Roller Cover and then cutting in using a Monarch 50mm Cutting In And Framing Synthetic Paint Brush. You can also use masking tape and drop sheets to protect the horizontal slats and any areas where you do not wish to get paint.

This will give you a fresh new look with relative ease.

You might like to check out How to paint like a professional for some further guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

pash81
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jacob. 

So no need of primer etc?

Also someone recommended Dulux plus superhide. Is it any better than the Weathershield?

Lastly, do U only recommend Dulux or is there an option in Taubmans as well? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pash81,

The Dulux Weathershield does not require additional primer over already painted surfaces. If you wanted to ensure there is no colour poking through, there is no harm in using a primer such as Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat, but it is not a necessary step and will increase the cost of the project.

I'd suggest giving the surface a good clean with hot water, sugar soap and a Heavy Duty Scrubbing Brush before applying the paint.

Wash&Wear® +PLUS Super Hide Low Sheen is an interior paint, so unfortunately it can't be used in this application.

The Taubmans All Weather Exterior Paint is a similar alternative that is also self priming and can be used in this application if you prefer.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

pash81
Growing in Experience

Thanks once again.

After pressure washing the walls, how long do i need to wait before painint on it? Is it ok to start the paint next day?

Also, any recommendations as to what shade of white is good for external walls which get full sun most of the days?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pash81 

I suggest giving the walls a full day to dry off, an extra day won't hurt either. What's important is that none of the rendered surface must be damp or feel like moisture is still trapped inside. In regards to the colour, there are many variations of white, I propose going to your local store and looking at the colour card samples at the paint department. Take half a dozen cards in different shades of white and place it outside on your fence and see which colour you like. Personally, I would choose an off-white colour so that it's not so vivid and striking.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects