Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renew timber deck?

all-thumbs
Just Starting Out

How to renew timber deck?

Hi,

We recently purchased the house. Its patio needs some TLC. Being a newbie, I am not sure

• Should we sand the deck before oiling it or just clean and oil? Photos 1 & 2.  Photo 2 shows some blemishes.
  • The nails in the deck are jutting out of the timber as seen in Photo 2 & 3.  Do I need to do anything to them if I need to sand the deck?
  • The pillars are exposed to the elements so have discolouration - Photo 4.  How do I fix that?
  • Can someone help identify which timber this is?

Would love some advise from the community.  Thank you.

IMG_9292.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg

IMG_9291.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to renew timber deck?

Hi @all-thumbs,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The deck looks to be in fairly good condition, so a full sand back doesn't look necessary. Cleaning and oiling the deck will be the way to go, however, the posts may need a bit of extra work as they look to be quite weathered.

You can follow the steps in How To Oil Your Deck for cleaning and oiling your deck.

For the posts, I'd suggest sanding them back with 80 grit sandpaper, either by hand or with a random orbital sander. Once sanded, brush them down to remove any sawdust and then cover the balustrade wires with masking tape to stop oil from getting on them. You can then oil the posts in the same way you would the deck.

In the future, if you are planning to sand the deck back, you will need to use a nail punch to set the dome head nails just below the surface of the timber. If you do not punch the nails down, you will find that your sandpaper will repeatedly rip prematurely.

It's hard to say with 100% certainty, but the decking certainly looks like Merbau.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Thank you JacobZ, appreciate the guidance.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No worries @all-thumbs.

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects