Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove rusted pins from concrete?

JamesG
Growing in Experience

How to remove rusted pins from concrete?

IMG_0297.jpeg

any tips for extracting these?  I’ve tried multi grips and nail pullers with no luck 

before I get the angle grinder out, I was wondering if anyone had another tool I haven’t thought about

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to remove rusted pins to concrete

Hi @JamesG,

Thank you for your question about removing brick anchors.

As these types of anchors expand in the hole, it is extremely difficult to remove them by pulling them out.

The best way I know to remove the whole anchor is to drill out the metal core so they can then be pulled out with needle nose pliers.

Outside of this, you can just hammer them in deeper, so they are not visible and then cover over them.

Allow me to tag @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue and @Noyade to see if they have any ideas.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

JamesG
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jacob I ended up grinding them down. Any ideas for brick coloured filler? Some kind of glue to smooth it over?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @JamesG 

You are heading in right way... just more patience is all :smile:

So a couple of things to try.

- Push center pin further down into the hole using a pin pop, nail, small screwdriver and hammer. Tap easily, no need to belt super hard.

- If it dosnt feel like the center pin is moving it could have dirt/dust in the bottom of the hole giving no space for the center pin to go down. Use the sharp setting on the hose and flush away like crazy. (only an idea as I havnt tried that one)

- Using long nose pliers or multigrips, grab top down the side of the outside shaft. Twist back and fourth slowly and gentle pull upwards, you are after movement of any kind. Keep at the twist, push, twist, pull twist and start the sequence again. 

-Once there is any kind of movement you are well on the way to getting it out. Just continue with what you were doing.

- Patience and constant pressure...

I have removed multiple shafts this way, either mistakes I had made in putting it in the wrong place (dont look to hard in some TELSTRA telephone exchanges :surprised: lol or removing someone elses mistake as I needed the floor smooth.

Worst case is to get a large diamater bolt that is the same size as the outer cowl and then Belt that down into the hole so its below the ground. Use some lock grips to hold it in place while belting with a hammer otherwise you will end up with bruises and cursing :smile:

Dave

Hi @Dave-1 

You have the patience of a  Saint  to  fully remove them  good work.

I like your last suggestion best of  all.

@JamesG 

Now you ground them off try @Dave-1 solution of pounding them in a bit deeper below brick level

Bunning sells some brick colored silicone (red off white etc) to seal those type of  holes. If you want to completly hide the hole more mix in some cement powder to try match old brick color.

Thanks team I reckon between all of us there’s a decent solution 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JamesG,

As @Jewelleryrescue mentioned, this Selleys 440g No More Gaps Bricks and Mortar Gap Filler - Terracotta is what you're looking for.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects