Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to fix face-mounted balustrade posts to Besser bricks?

heracles
Just Starting Out

Best way to fix face-mounted balustrade posts to Besser bricks?

Wanting to fix face mounted balustrade posts to my alfresco area which is rendered besser bricks. What would be the best/strongest method to fix them taking into account the cavity in the besser bricks?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to fix face-mounted balustrade posts to besser bricks?

Hi @heracles,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I'd be very cautious with balustrade posts as there are strict requirements under the National Construction Code (NCC) and Australian and New Zealand Standards (AS/NZS). 

I'd suggest contacting a builder or engineer for their guidance on an adequate anchoring method to meet or exceed the requirements set out in NCC D2.16 and AS/NZS 1170.1

The specific quantity and calibre of anchor is something you'd need to confirm with an engineer or builder who is aware of the requirements set out in the NCC and AS/NZS.

I imagine you'll be required to use heavy-duty anchors along the lines of these Ramset M16 x 190mm Chemset Galvanised Anchor Studs that are set in place with a chemical anchor such as this Ramset ChemSet 101, but you'd have to confirm this with an engineer.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects