Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove penetrating sealer picture framing from granite pavers?

crhoward99
Just Starting Out

How to remove penetrating sealer picture framing from granite pavers?

Hi,

I am looking for advice on how to remove picture framing from granite pavers. We have installed some granite pavers on a crushed rock and sand base with polymeric sand in between. We were advised to seal the pavers after they had dried which we did however the sealant (Crommelin Natural Finish Penetrating Sealer & Water Repellent) remained wet within the sand and has caused picture framing around most of the pavers. I have tried removing a couple of pavers and letting it dry out in the open (not surrounded by other pavers) and I have tried using a general solvent such as Crommelin DiamondCoat Solvent to try to re-wet the sealer to allow it to fully dry. There hasnt been much change using either of these approaches.

I have since tested a couple of new previously un-laid pavers by sealing fully with the same product and then laying them and they appear to work without any picture framing and they repel the rainwater. Now I would like to fully remove the previously applied penetrating sealant (if possible) and re-seal using the newly discovered technique. If I have to I am open to fully removing all pavers, cleaning up and starting again. Is there a product or technique that would return the pavers to as-new condition? I was thinking maybe a hot water high pressure hose but I would like some input before I go an hire anything or is it just a matter of me using the solvent and scrubbing harder. Or maybe there is no solution. Thanks Chris.20240610_172702.jpg20240610_174243.jpg20240610_174325.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove penetrating sealer picture framing from granite pavers?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @crhoward99. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about applying sealants.

I'm sorry to hear you've experienced an issue whilst sealing your pavers.

This issue has most likely occurred due to moisture retained in the pavers or sand. Given the picture framing, it's indicative that moisture within your polymetric sand has wicked into the pavers and is now stuck under the sealant.

The first thing to do is wait a couple of weeks, as there is a chance that this issue might resolve itself. If not, try Crommelin 1L DiamondCoat Clean N Prep on a test area to judge its effectiveness. It's better at removing sealants than the solvent alone. If successful, move on to the rest of your pavers. After completion, allowing the pavers and sand to dry out before coating entirely is essential. Due to the setting agents in the polymetric sand, it can appear bone dry on the surface yet still be wet beneath.

If the Clean N Prep does not work, let us know, and the Crommelin technical team can walk you through using other stronger products.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to remove penetrating sealer picture framing from granite pavers?

Great! Thanks MitchellMc.

I have purchased some Crommelin DiamondCoat Clean N Prep on my drive home and will try it on one of the spare pavers I have already removed and that are nice and dry in the garage. 

I will let you know how it all goes.

Thanks

Chris

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects