Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from acrylic sheet?

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

How to remove paint from acrylic sheet?

Hi folks, any acrylic experts out there? I'd like to know how I can remove a thick layer of old dried-on (water-based?) paint from a large clear acrylic sheet used as a sun guard on a pergola. I asked Dr. Google - it suggested warm soapy water (no chance), white vinegar (ditto). Rubbing acetone onto the paint does lift the thinnest amount from the paint, but no way will it take it off. Can anyone suggest a solvent I can use without doing too much damage to the acrylic? I don't mind if it abrades the surface a little, because it'll give it a nice opaque finish - I just don't want to wreck it. Any advice? Many thanks, Orlando Triangular acrylic sheetTriangular acrylic sheetClose-upClose-up

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove paint from acrylic

Hello @Orlando 

Thank you for sharing your question about removing paint from your acrylic sheet. I can only suggest what I've done with my acrylic cover sheet and that is to sand it down. I recommend using a random orbital sander with a high grit number such as 180. This should be rough enough to strip the paint off the acrylic. 

Please note that the sanding process will scratch the surface of the acrylic and produce a frosted effect. Unfortunately, using chemicals will probably remove the paint, but will damage the surface of the acrylic as well making it soft and pliable. The same problem occurs when using a heat gun, it will strip the paint off, but turn the acrylic into a soft mess. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to remove paint from acrylic sheet?

Afternoon @Orlando 

I had a thought of a high pressure water blaster but now hesitate over using it. Your acrylic is how old? If its been exposed to teh elements for a few years Id hesitate to put any real pressure on it, even sanding it would make me nervous. Depending on the state (fragility) it is in maybe you could paint the other side with a solid colour, that way you wouldnt have to remove the old paint?

Dave

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Orlando , other than sanding or complete replacement not sure what else you could do, if it has been installed for wile, it will become brittle, you could just paint over it as @Dave-1 suggested, the other thing you could experiment with is a caramel wheel, I am not sure it will remove the paint, but worth a try.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/josco-90mm-caramel-wheel_p6320847

The wheel is used to remove stickers and adhesives without damaging original surfaces, just make sure you wear appropriate PPE as @EricL  recommendation.

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Orlando As it's already been mentioned, anything you do will only leave the surface damaged in some form or another. So, I would be inclined to either coat it with a textured paint product or consider slated timbers that will cover the finish, but still allow light to penetrate through. 

Regards, Nailbag.

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Hi Dave, what I was hoping to do was to save it as a translucent screen to allow more light into the house. It's fixed on the roof side; so I can't really take it down to clean it (I'd have to get a young tradie in to scamper on the roof and remove it for me - something I was hoping to avoid). So painting it on the other side would defeat the purpose of having it up there. Sanding it would probably be the best option. Cheers, and thanks for the suggestions

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Yes Joe, might have to go along the sanding route. Even if it were to scratch the acrylic surface, as long as light could get through, that would be fine. Don't know how old it is; so don't know what condition it's in. Anyhow, if worse comes to worst, I'll just get a new sheet cut out and replace it - a couple of hundred bucks for the sheet + someone a lot younger than me to get on the roof and attach it. Cheers mate.

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Hi Nailbag, you and others have sort of come to the same conclusion. I think I'll try sanding the sheet. If it scratches it, it's not a huge drama, as it's only there to let light in and keep the rain out. Thanks for replying

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Your welcome @Orlando. Maybe try by hand sanding first with the paper wrapped around a cork block in case the pressure of a powered sander cracks it?

Nailbag.

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Think I'll have to mate. As the sheet is fixed in position, it'll be a real pain trying to use an electric sander on it, as there's no resistance behind the sheet. Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects