Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop loud dripping from downpipe?

AC93
Just Starting Out

How to stop loud dripping from downpipe?

This downpipe is located directly outside my bedroom window (I am on the second level of an apartment building.)

When it rains, the dripping is so loud/invasive. It doesn't stop for hours. What can I do to address this? Fix/adjust/replace the pipe; divert the water/soften the blow?

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop loud dripping from downpipe?

Hello @AC93 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your downpipe.

This question was asked awhile back by one of our members. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to stop the annoying drip of a downpipe? by @Rotate.

In the discussion, I suggested having a look at the exit point in your gutter as there could be twigs or leaves that is causing rainwater to bridge across them and drip into the middle of the downpipe. I recommended giving the gutter a quick clean to remove any possible debris and putting in a Jack Plastic Gutterguard Downpipe Cover.

It is tempting to put a sponge at the bottom of the downpipe, but it will cause more trouble especially if we get more rain during the following week. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @AC93 

Are you able to access this area?

I watched your video a few times but can't figure out what the exact cause is. Is it the dripping distance from the downpipe end to the corrugated iron?

Would a sponge shoved under the tip eliminate the noise? Not so much as a permanent solution - but a process of trial and error. See what works.

Cheers.

20240717_092954.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AC93,

Just to add my input, what I think is happening is that the drips from the downpipe are dropping down and hitting the hard right-angle corner at the bottom of the downpipe. This wouldn't normally create such a loud sound, so I suspect that the noise is reverberating through the trim piece that the corner is on and amplifying the sound. I think replacing the right-angle corner with an angled one and elevating it above the trim would dramatically lessen the sound and probably resolve the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects