Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove damaged screws?

MattB
Finding My Feet

How to remove damaged screws?

Hi all,

I have an outdoor light fitting that looks to have been, for want of a better term, royally screwed over the years. The screw heads have been totally stripped, and on one of the screws I can see it's been attempted to drill through. On the less-damaged screw, I've attempted to drill a pilot hole to allow a screw extractor to be used, but the screw extractor simply gets no purchase.

Looking at the attached pics, would you suggest any particular course of action? Right now I'm using HSS drill bits, but am assuming I might need something harder if I want to completely drill these screws out?

Many thanks in advance!IMG_2562.jpgIMG_2563.jpgIMG_2564.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to remove damaged screws?

ternoon @MattB 

Mmmmm bugger is about where the description should be...

Those screw heads have been trully wrecked.

Only two things come to mind to remove it, thin hacksaw blade on its own and slowly working cut through between timber and case, tho think you will damage the case too much.

Or go for a oscilatating tool with a metal cutting blade Corded Multi Tools and start in as close to the screw but on the timber so you dont damage the case. What is the case made of btw?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove damaged screws?

Hello @MattB 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I agree with his assessment and about using a Corded Multi Tool to create a line on top of the screw. This will then allow you to use a flat blade screwdriver to unscrew the damaged screw. However, this technique will cut into the plastic housing and possibly damage it.

Since you've used the screw extractor set, I suggest trying this technique, place a rubber band on top of the screw and use an ordinary drill bit in your set to unscrew the damaged screw, you could get lucky, and the screw might come out.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you remove damaged screws?

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects