Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prep and paint a steel fence? (with spray gun)

KaraB
Finding My Feet

How to prep and paint a steel fence? (with spray gun)

Hi, absolute newbie to all things DIY here!

I'm wanting to paint my fence but have noticed some rust scattered on the bottom of it and parts of the centre, can I still paint it? I will have to replace the fence at some point but right now that's not a financially viable option for me, hence the paint job - but I have no idea where to start.

Can I treat the rust somehow, apply a primer and then paint? PXL_20240625_010542662.MP.jpgPXL_20240625_010525480.jpg

Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prep and paint a steel fence? (with spray gun)

Hello @KaraB 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Its sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repainting your steel fence with a spray gun.

I propose cleaning the surface of your steel fence with sugar soap in combination with a bristle broom. This will remove the dirt and debris on your fence, plus it will also remove any oil or grease buildup on the surface. If you believe your fence structure is strong enough, I would go as far as suggesting using a pressure washer on its surface.

In regards to the rusted bottom part of your fence it is possible to use Bondall 250ml Ranex Rustbuster Rust Converter on the very rusty parts only. I then recommend priming it with Dulux Precision 1L All Metal Primer. For the topcoat, I suggest looking at the Dulux Weathershield range of products.

Here are some handy discussions regarding fence painting:

Since you are thinking of using a sprayer, I suggest having a look at the Wagner W125 Wood & Metal Paint Sprayer. It's a trusted brand and makes an excellent addition to your toolbox.

If you have any other questions we can help wit, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KaraB
Finding My Feet

Re: How to prep and paint a steel fence? (with spray gun)

Super helpful, thanks Eric!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects