Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to pour and repair cement step block?

rosebarton
Finding My Feet

How to pour and repair cement step block?

Hello!

I have this single cement step block outside my laundry door. I'm wondering if there is a way to repair and refill the crack and the chipped corner in it so it can be repainted?

Additionally, I'm wanting to make a similar one outside my back door.

I've watched this video How To Pour A Small Concrete Slab - Bunnings Australia.

Would this be the right process to follow? Especially given

- mine would be poured over existing concrete paving, not soil or sand

- would less than 1m squared, would I still need steel mesh at that size

Many thanks in advance!

458373670_2942052529279110_3306640091337342620_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to pour and repair cement step block?

Hi @rosebarton,

It’s likely best to create a new reinforced step rather than attempting to repair your existing one. While you could fill the crack or recreate the chipped corner, these fixes won’t be as strong as the original structure, and without reinforcement, the corner could easily break off again under pressure. If you want to try a repair, you could strengthen it by drilling into the edge of the step and inserting rebar into the drilled holes. The rebar would need to be glued in place to connect the original step to the new concrete corner, creating a stronger bond. However, this process can be time-consuming and complex, so for a smaller step, it might be easier to replace it entirely.

In terms of pouring a new step, the process in the video you watched should serve as a good guide, but there are a few specific factors to consider. Since you'll be pouring over existing concrete paving, it’s important to clean the surface thoroughly and apply a bonding agent to ensure the new concrete adheres properly. Even though your step will be less than 1m², I’d recommend using steel mesh for reinforcement. This will help prevent cracks and strengthen the step, reducing the likelihood of issues like corners breaking off in the future. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects