Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build brick garden edging on existing cement edge?

rosebarton
Finding My Feet

How to build brick garden edging on existing cement edge?

Hi there,

My current garden has simple cement edging as below. It is in fine condition and is relatively level the whole way around the curved garden beds.

460947076_407547068743051_6293054430590162394_n.jpg460928320_463852490136248_8782950551739778240_n.jpg

I am considering turning the beds into raised ones by building a simple brick edging, see picture below but likely just two layers of red pavers.

460569768_404863322644671_4829191583192209688_n.jpg

I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials on laying the brick edging. What I am wondering specifically is if I am able to build straight on top of the cement edging? This seems the easiest thing to do so that I'm not encroaching into the garden beds, cutting in to the cream paving or having to remove the cement.. If so what do I use for that joining, would the same mortar work to bond to clean cement or would I need to use something different such as concrete adhesive?

Thanks for any advice :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build brick garden edging on existing cement edge?

Hi @rosebarton,

You can definitely build brick edging on top of your existing cement edging, and it should make the process easier since you won’t need to remove the cement or cut into the garden beds or paving. The key is ensuring the bricks bond well to the cement.

First, ensure the cement surface is clean and free from dirt, moss, or debris and using a pressure washer would be effective for this. This will help the mortar stick properly. While you can use regular mortar to bond the bricks to the cement, it’s a good idea to use a bonding agent before applying the mortar. This will help the mortar grip better to the pavers.

Once the bonding agent is applied, you can start laying the first layer of bricks using mortar, making sure they’re level as you go. Since your garden beds are curved, it’s important to keep each brick level for a neat finish. After the first layer is set, you can add the second layer, applying mortar between the layers to hold them securely in place.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to build a brick wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects