Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint old concrete and pavers?

lynbunce
Finding My Feet

How to paint old concrete and pavers?

I have old paving that adjoins a concrete

I have just had a new pergola built and it is all now under cover

What would be the steps in painting both surfaces. As you can see by the photos it is pretty shabby.

One of the photos shows the painted concrete under the front verandah that has held up very well over the past three years using a driveway paint.

regards

LynBunnings Concrete and pavers.JPGBunnings painted concrete at front.JPGBunnings Pavers.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint will I use for painting old concrete and pavers

Hello @lynbunce 

Thank you for sharing the photos of your pavers and concrete floor. The general steps to application are to first clean your concrete floor and pavers. Each product have their own specific steps so it's important to follow the instructions printed on the can. If you have a pressure washer it will definitely help with the cleaning process. Once the cleaning is done the floor and pavers must be allowed to complete dry off before taking the next step. There might be an etching process, or a primer applied to the floor it all depends on the product you're using. But once this process is finished, painting the surface will the next step.  

In regards to what paint to use, I suggest having a look at the White Knight 1L White Ultra Pave Quick Dry Paint. It does both concrete and paving.

I also suggest having a look at these discussions - Paver refresh with paint by @prettyliving and Painted outdoor pavers by @Marj2Homer

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Paint A Concrete Floor

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves goggles and a paint mask when working on your project. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What paint will I use for painting old concrete and pavers

Thank you so much Eric. I do have a pressure washer. So when the weather improves I will have a job to do. Many thanks again for all your info. Cheers. Lyn

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects