Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint gutters and eaves?

Glenn83
Getting Established

How to paint gutters and eaves?

Gday, well im an amateur handyman, so Ive got some time off coming up and looking at painting my gutters and eves. I’ve have an idea what colour the gutters are. But I’m just after any tips hints ideas on how not to mess this up, ie preparing the job, brush or roller etc etc so yeah any advice will be much appreciated. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting gutters and eves advice

Hello @Glenn83 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your gutters and eaves. If you prepare the surfaces properly your paint job should come out looking fantastic. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to paint wooden posts and aluminium guttering? by @sandeeps. If your eaves have stains on them, I suggest sanding the surface to get it as clean as possible. Make sure to wipe off all the sanding dust before you begin painting. 

In regards to protection, I recommend using drop sheets and masking tape those areas you want protected from paint splatter and over painting. If your gutter has been painted before with a low sheen exterior paint, I suggest cleaning it with water and detergent in combination with a soft bristle broom. Once the surface is dry you can then start painting the surface. However, if it still has its original gloss paint, I recommend using 180grit sandpaper to key the surface of the paint. Make sure to give the surface a good wipe down before you start painting it.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint your exteriors

I also suggest having a look at these discussions:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glenn83
Getting Established

Gday Eric cheers for your response, as for our gutters I’m not sure what they originally were painted with, I’ve attached a couple pics that I have in my phone at the moment. But they are very faded looking. So yeah what do you recommend ? 

IMG_3265.png

IMG_3266.png

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Glenn83,

They are likely to be factory-finished Colorbond gutters.  

The correct approach would be to scrub the guttering to remove the powered finish with Sugar Soap and a Heavy-duty Scotch-Brite pad. Continue this cleaning process until no powdery residue is left on your fingertips when wiped. After, flush with fresh water and allow to dry entirely. You can then prime and, when dry, coat with good-quality exterior paint. You can either use a paintbrush or a good-quality roller.

Since you'll be working at height, have a read through this article on How to use ladders safely. Also, remember you're PPE, including safety glasses, gloves, a face mask, a long sleeve shirt and pants and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects