Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a rendered wall?

dstanley
Getting Established

How to paint a rendered wall?

Hi there,

I'm looking to repaint a rendered outdoor wall on our balcony. I have cleaned it down and currently trying to decide which primers and paints to use.

I have some Zinsser CoverStain Primer Sealer and some Taubmans 3-in-1 primer left over from previous jobs. Would either of these work as a primer or do I need a specific primer for a rendered wall?

Also, there are a couple of cracks in the existing render/paint work (see attached) - none are very large, but do these need to be repaired or patched before painting or can I just apply primer over the cracks?

Photos of balcony attached - any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

1000039356.jpg

1000039367.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to paint a rendered wall?

Hi @dstanley,

If you check out this previous discussion: How to repaint external render walls? I would suggest that the same advice shared there applies to you. 

"As it looks like the previously painted surface is in fairly good condition, you can simply paint 2 coats of Dulux 4L Vivid White Low Sheen Weathershield Exterior Paint over the existing paint in your chosen colour. The Dulux Weathershield does not require additional primer over already painted surfaces."

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dstanley
Getting Established

Re: How to paint a rendered wall?

Thanks Jason! Good to know a primer is not necessary in this instance.

Cheers,

Daniel

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects