Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level archway and pergola posts on uneven ground?

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

How to level archway and pergola posts on uneven ground?

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone in this group might be able to get me on the right track?  I am planning 2 projects,

BUT I am struggling with the best, efficient, cost effective way to get my two projects completed, the projects in question are on very uneven ground.

I'm in the process of building an Front Gate Archway & a Pergola/come garden swing.  The ground falls away with the slope falling towards the house from the street.

The front gate archway, I will be swinging a meter long gate off one of the posts, so need it to be level.  2nd The small pergola type area *(I am in the process of paving a circle area, as I plan to hang swings off it for my grandies, and as they age, replace with a bench seat garden type swing).  This too will have to be very level, or the swings won't hang properly.

What I'm struggling with mostly with both projects right now, is ensuring they are level, and I'm not 100% sure on the best way to get all of the posts in the ground so they are all aligned and level with each other, with such uneven ground.  

I want to make sure I get the posts at both area's correct, to enable them to line up properly, or I will have other issues later down the track.  e.g. the Archway: the gate I plan to attach won't swing right.  The pergola/garden swing area: also very important or the swing won't hang right.

I had initially thought string lines for each area, would be the best way to go about this,

I'm now not so sure, as I not only have to have them all straight, and level so when I put the beams across the top of the posts they all need to join them up. As well as being on a very tight budget.  I am trying to repurpose old posts left over from a pergola, remake/build.

I am hoping someone in this group might be able to give me some other suggestions, to help me on my way, as I'm feeling overwhelmed?  

The pergola/swing area I'm in the process of paving at present.  The support posts, will go to the exterior of this paved area, as I will have trellises running up the sides of both ends of each area, so I can grow climbing roses, Clematis, Jasmin and Hardenbergia, to name a few. Which will in turn create some much needed shade in both area's.

Thank you in advance for any advice anyone might have to help light the way.

Old~gal24

note: added pics to give you a visual of what I am trying to achieve.

Similar to this with a sm gate attachedSimilar to this with a sm gate attachedSimilar ~ over a circle of 2nd hand bricksSimilar ~ over a circle of 2nd hand bricks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get posts for an Archway & Pergola level when building on uneven ground.

Hi @Old-gal24,

It sounds like you're tackling some exciting projects, and I can see how the uneven ground adds an extra challenge. Since you’ll be hanging a gate and swings, ensuring that everything is perfectly level is important. Getting the first post properly aligned is key, as it will serve as your reference point for the rest of the structure.

To begin, focus on setting the first post straight and level. After digging the hole for your post, place it in the desired location and use a spirit level to ensure it’s perfectly plumb on two adjacent sides. A post level is also a great tool to check that the post is straight all around. Once you're sure the post is aligned, secure it in place with either concrete or compacted gravel, making sure it doesn’t shift as the base material sets. Temporary props are a great way to hold it in position. This post will act as your anchor, and every other post can now be set in relation to it.

From here, use string lines to ensure the rest of the posts are aligned and level with the first. Run the string tightly from the top of the first post to where the next post will go. Measure and adjust the height of each post to match the string line, ensuring they all sit at the same level, even if the ground is sloping. You may need to adjust the depth of the holes for each post to account for the uneven ground, but the string line will be your guide. A laser level can also be helpful for this, especially if you're working over larger distances or have multiple posts to align.

With this approach, you'll ensure that both the archway and pergola are level, and you'll avoid issues with the gate not swinging properly or the swings hanging unevenly. 

Here's a helpful guide you might like to read through: How to choose and use a level.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to get posts for an Archway & Pergola level when building on uneven ground.

@MitchellMc 

Thank you once again Mitchell for your continued support. 

I truly don't know where I would be without this group.  I come to this group every time FIRST to see if I can find something someone else has already asked advice on.. If I can't find something relevant, that's when I ask..

I have a string line, and level somewhere.  I will pop into Bunnings and get a post level as they look like a great help for what I'm trying to get done before the summer hits.  It will certainly be worth the purchase. 

I did make a big purchase, for me that is. I purchased  https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-18v-brushless-cordless-150mm-planting-and-digging-odt1800-tool... this beauty 2 wks ago.. OMG is it amazing. (Totally broke, but cashed in my flybuy points)  Best tool I've purchased in a very long time. 

Talk about save me work..  I even used it to dig the holes for my roses, which made short work of planting over 30 roses, from standards to small hybrid T roses. I dug two holes beside each other and for the bigger ones even three. 

Only wish I'd purchased it before I put in the big treated pine logs I ordered *(with great thanks to you again Mitchell). They would have made short work of them for sure.

Once again, many thanks for your prompt reply and great advice, in detail, which will help me immensely, I'm sure.

Old~gal  :smile:

7435887a-4f7a-46aa-86d6-8e03065b7056.jpgOMG talk about making life easyOMG talk about making life easy

Love your work, @Old-gal24! That auger/post-hole digger looks amazing. I love it when you purchase something, hoping it will work, and it does. I recently spent a day hand-caulking flooring adhesive and then still had a day's worth to do. I went out and picked up a Ryobi 18V ONE+ Caulking Gun, which was a significant cost for a tool that only does one job. But, my did it do it well! At least twice as fast as hand caulking and with no hand strain at all.

Keep us posted (pun intended)!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects