Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

lakiita
Having an Impact

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

I'm scared about trying anything as technical as a deck or as expensive 

I am scared tiles will crack as my area moves a lot 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lakiita 

If you are worried about movement, I suggest using Davco 20kg Ultraflex Ceramic Tile Adhesive, this is a rubber modified adhesive and allows for minimal movement under the tile. You also have the option of getting thick floor tiles such as the Johnson Tiles 30 x 60cm Light Grey Hampton Grit Porcelain Outdoor Floor Tile which is 8.5mm thick. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lakiita
Having an Impact

I'm still confused on how to edge the area

4 major issues:

1.  there is not much space between the slab I'm paving/ tiling and the slab I'm ignoring so now i have no idea how to edge it. I kinda think now I should just use some kind of aluminium edging just to cover over the edge? I don't know

2. my place moves a lot so I think tiles may not work but also those cement pavers are heavy but also I do like the rustic unfinished look of them as  my outdoor area will still be quite rustic

3. I have no idea how to cut the pavers or tiles

4. I have a HUGE patio if I bed the pavers in sand how can I still do it in sections. I don't know if I can do it all at once but maybe if I plan it out and precut all the tiles it will be doable? I've got about 51m2 on my last measurement.

I swear by the time I finish deciding what I'm doing my leave will be over (it doesn't start for 2 wks though so I have some time yet!!)

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @lakiita 

I really understand that "crunch time" for leave approaching and not having things in place or resources to deal with them. 

Just been re-reading the suggestions you have recieved.

1- Dynabolt timber to the edge of the concrete to lock the edge of the pavers in. ( @MitchellMc suggested)

2- Pavers with a little sand 

3- Tiles of some kind.

4- Potential air flow problems with under the hosue vents (dont think this is an issue )

5- 51sqm of area to pave.

Did you get a a tile/paver you wanted to try? Just to see how it would look.

Pavers can be cut with a grinding disk or using a cold chisel and hammer. It took me a while to become passably accurate using the cold chisel and hammer.

I would choose a straight edge (back of the house) and go from there. You dont need to do it all in one go but can do it over a period of time. Some sand down first then the pavers. You can always temorary an area with an edge of timber just laid down and then weighted with some pavers on top to stop the sand from spreading out between the times you get to work on it.

I have done serveral projects that make up my whole front path. The sections were worked on months apart.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lakiita,

@Dave-1 has provided some good info there. I understand your trepidation as it is a large job, but it certainly can be worked on over time. Once you have the sand down, I don't think it's going to necessarily go anywhere. I think you'll find once you get the sand down and start laying pavers, the job will progress rather quickly. If the task seems a little overwhelming, have you considered having a quote done for the paver installation or even advertising the job on places like Airtasker or Hipages? You might find someone that is willing to work with you to complete the job together.

Mitchell

thanks Dave that's so reassuring to hear I can do it in sections with timber I had thought of that but then wasn't sure it would work. This is the paver I want to use Although still slightly torn between this colour and the darker sand. I thought maybe that edge wld work that you see here but it's  different height and I'm not sure of my ability to match levels so maybe timber but as you can see not much space. so maybe I should  just forget about the edge - no edge is visible from anywhere inside the patio anyway. It'll only be visible from outside looking in from one spot 

20230918_131747.jpg

I really want to do the job myself even though it's overwhelming. it's the columns and the cutting that really worry me 

what pattern will be the easiest I thought maybe a simple brick pattern so I don't have to match lines exactly.

What sand do I use and do I use the same for top sand as for bedding?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lakiita,

A staggered pattern would allow more leeway with correctly positioning the pavers. You should use paving sand to bed the pavers, and you could also use it between them. Alternatively, you might wish to use a specifically designed sand between them, like the Westbuild 20kg Pave N'Lock. This type of paving sand solidifies once water is sprayed on it, preventing the sand from coming out of the joint.

Those types of edging pavers are typically used the other way around and for when your paving meets an elevated level.

Regarding cutting the pavers, we do have brick/paver saws available for hire. However, they in themselves might be a bit confronting as they are typically a trade-type tool.

Mitchell

yeah I figured the edger went the other way around but my original idea was I could flip it and the hanging edge wld go down the side of the cement block but it was too wide so then I was just playing around with it to see if I could make something work.

I think I've decided since there's only one side of this cement floor that can be seen and then only from outside the patio that I just need to let the edging go and just mortar in a layer of pavers and have that as the edge - if that makes sense

Staggered - is that the same as like a brick laying pattern? I assume it is - I'm looking at the exposed brick wall of my study right now and it looks fine but if you look close enough the lines aren't exactly straight

That brick paver saw looks perfect actually and it's a good price for 24 hours - might be able to plan out my cuts in that time? Not sure I have 5 columns. On the upside at least these pavers are cheap if I mess up

How deep should the laying sand be? Do you have to pack it down and level it before putting the paver on top? How do you do that? Or just level it? Do I need to set up levelling string lines for the pavers? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Yes, a brick-laying pattern @lakiita. You are just staggering the joints so they are not in a straight line.

Typically, you'd want around 40mm of sand, but pavers are generally not laid over concrete, so I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Just enough to evenly spread it out and bed the pavers into. I'd recommend setting up some level string lines and then tamping the sand down with a hand tamper. These line levels will come in handy.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects