Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

The timber trim piece can be Dynabolted into the edge of the concrete slab @lakiita

I think you are on the right path. Install the timber trim, bed the perimeter pavers with mortar, and lay the rest on sand. To have the border level with the internal pavers, it will just be a matter of adding enough sand to suit the thickness of the mortar bed. With a little trial and error, you should be able to get the levels correct.

Adding a grey trim paver would add a nice contrast, but it's up to you on the look you're going for.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I think I'm getting there at last!!

Think I best paint the patio first so I don't have to worry about paint spills too much. Should I use any kind of special cleaner before I start the paving or will just a pressure hose down be sufficient do you think? Unfortuantely my area is very dusty so it will probably be hard to keep it clean for long.

I think I will go to Bunnings tomorrow (My Saturday I'm a shift worker) and buy a couple of 'test' pavers so I can look at timber vs grey edge and take the pavers home to check out height etc and decide what I like the look of

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A good clean with a pressure hose, concentrating on the perimeter where you'll be using mortar, will be all that's required @lakiita.

Those edging pavers should work.

Mitchell

Brilliant thanks :smile:

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @lakiita 

Going through looking at the photos I was wondering where your air vents for the back of the house/brickwork are? If they are above your concrete patio will they be blocked by the added height of pavers/tiles you want to use?

Dave

What the hell are air vents in brickwork???? Going to go have a look now. As it turns out went to bunnings to get some samples and I don't think my edging idea will work so now I have no idea. There's two concrete slabs one is the patio one which is kinda nice the other I'm just ignoring as it's a lost cause but also it's too close to the patio slab for me to fit in the edging that I wanted 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lakiita 

I've placed an image below to give you an idea what the brick air vents/weep holes are and where they might possibly be located. Typically, builders place weep holes at the bottom of brick exterior walls. They look like vertical gaps in the mortar joints between bricks. As gravity pulls water down to the bottom of the wall, the weep holes allow water to exit just above the foundation.

Have you considered perhaps tiling the surface instead? If you are thinking about changing the look of the surface, tiling it would be the straightforward solution. But if you're after a more natural material, I recommend thinking about installing a low-level deck. It's comfy to walk on and keeps a nice even temperature even when the seasons change.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @lakiita 

:smile:lol they are nothing usually to think of twice. Some houses have air vents in teh brick work to allow ventilation of the underneath of the house. These are just vertical slots usually around the last course of bricks near the floor level. Think normal space of briscks next to each other and then a gap of 1cm then brick and another gap of 1cm. These are spaced around the house for ventilation. If you dont have them then no worries.

Air vents.jpg

20-07-2022.jpg

You can see the airvents on the walls in these photos. They are just below the floor level.

Dave

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @EricL 

beat me by "that much" :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects