Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install cladding over limestone wall and fence?

kritin
Just Starting Out

How to install cladding over limestone wall and fence?

IMG_5744.jpeg

Hi All,

I am looking to install wall cladding over the top of the limestone and fence what’s the best way to do this and what tools are required?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Install wall cladding

Hi @kritin,

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you'll be able to install cladding directly to the Colourbond fence as they are not designed to be load bearing. 

As the Colourbond fence is slightly set back from the edge of the limestone, I suggest constructing a timber frame from Treated Structural Pine that can be dynabolted to the top of the wall and then screwed to the fence to support the weight of the cladding.

Did you have a particular type of cladding in mind? Perhaps something like this HardieFlex™ Cladding?

The majority of cladding materials will have an installation guide or Technical Specification document that will determine the best method of installation, but it is likely you will require at least a Hammer Drill with some driver bits and drill bits, and a masonry bit so you can install wall plugs to the limestone blocks before screwing into them.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any further advice to offer, @Dave-1, @JoeAzza, @Nailbag.

Let me know what you think and If you can provide some further details, I'd be happy to assist further.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @kritin 

What type of cladding are you thinking of? Whichever type you are going for I would suggest a free standing frame in front of your wall and fence to be built. Fences are not built to carry a lot of weight over then what they carry themselves.

Depending on the type of cladding you choose the posts may be closer or you may need more then two rails.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @kritin I think following @Dave-1 suggestion would be the easiest solution. As @JacobZ has indicated fixing anything to the existing wall will be complicated if possible at all due to excessive load on the existing fence. But his suggested solution would also work very well.

As the existing fence appears to be relatively new, can I ask what don't you like about it as its going to be an expensive exercise to cover for which ever solution you choose.

Regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects