Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve patio drainage?

neal
Growing in Experience

How to improve patio drainage?

My outside enclosed patio has drainage issues when I want to flush it out due to corrugated walls enclosing the patio. It can slowly drain underneath but takes too long. Looking for ideas or recommendations for someone to install drainage pipes through the concrete floor and through limestone retaining wall for the water to escape outside.

Re: patio drainage

HI @neal 

You want to flush the area out?  So that means you are hosing out the patio area it seams to me?  But in any case consider the following.

Well see the timber rail along the bottom  well i would cut it at each end and lift it up  higher creating a bigger gap 30mm or so and any water will flow out faster out down  the wall corregations  then no drain required.

Additionally this  will also help stop timber rot if it is not fully painted underneath.

You will need to carefully remove outside wall fixings to the timber as to minimise any damage to the metal and when the timber raised re fix the iron to the timber.   I would spray silver zinc paint on the exposed holes and cover the  holes with silver duct tape.

Hope you area fixed soon

neal
Growing in Experience

Thanks but it’s metal. And we get snakes so hence the small gap so we don’t get visitors.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @neal,

It's not really a permanent solution to the issue, but have you considered a wet and dry vacuum?

This might be a simple and cost-effective solution for when you need to clean the area.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @neal 

How about cutting slots in the tin walls and timber bases and installing steel mesh so it will exclude snakes? You do run up against the mesh clogging due to hair ect but maybe that could be worked around?

Dave

neal
Growing in Experience

Thanks for that. It’s an option.

neal
Growing in Experience

I think I’m going to get some core holes drilled into the sand base and from the side like my patio concreter has suggested. Then use a flexible pipe to allow water and hair to escape. I imagine I can get a screwable/lockable grate to print anything climbing up the pipe at the top. Does this sound good.

neal
Growing in Experience

Does my hole coring suggestion sound a good option.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @neal 

The issue I see with the sand base is that the covers will move and might not stay level. Have you considered using a surface drain instead such as the Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Compact Polymer Grate And Channel. It will be easier to anchor into place and the drain can be directed to an existing storm water outlet.

However, before you make any changes, I suggest engaging the services of a plumber as they are the only ones certified to link your drain to your storm water outlet.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @neal 

Whichever way you go a longer grill to capture the water and "other bits" lol would be something Id factor in.  And with the piping I find the small corrorgated flexible pipe that was installed next to my pool tends to clog up with leaves and seed easily. When I redo it I would be using a 90mm pipe at least and probarly a 100mm PVC style pipe. Capacity plus not getting clogged is what I am after.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects