Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve look of side passage? Broken concrete over bricks

martyjames
Building a Reputation

How to improve look of side passage? Broken concrete over bricks

Hi All

My side passage way is a real mess - see pics below. It is also slippery when wet. It gets a lot of runoff (slopes towards front of house) when it rains.

I have used on the front of the path (not visible in these pics) a Dunlop resurfacer product that worked reasonably well after i got rid of all the old loose bits of cement/mortar etc and filled the holes with concrete prior to using the resurfacing product. I cannot see this product now - does a similar products exist?

Or - does anyone have any suggestions to easily (and inexpensively) make the passageway look much better and still have good drainage and is non slip? Any ideas appreciated - thanks

IMG_20240524_125953883 (1).jpg

IMG_20240524_125944619 (1).jpg

Re: How to Improve look of side passage - Broken concrete over bricks

I pulled up one of the bricks, its a mix of sand and dirt - probably been down may years (house is over 100 years old).

A lot of the bricks next to the house have holes drilled in them - i know this is from a full termite treatment around the perimeter of the house before i moved in.

I am leaning towards artificial grass now as a relatively simple solution - i'll still have to even out the rough areas.

Evening @martyjames 

Ive never laid artifical grass, Not sure if you could use sand under it with the way the concrete/pavers are as it may cause ripples.

Dave

Hi @martyjames,

Artificial grass is designed to be laid over compacted sand, not bricks, so you'd need to pull the bricks up. You could choose to lay it over the bricks, but if the drainage isn't great, you could end up with pools of water on the artificial grass that stick around for some time after rain.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Guys

I ended up smoothing out the path by patching with concrete. I Laid artificial turf and pretty happy with the results. Thanks for the assistance again.IMG_20240622_105646526_BURST000_COVER.jpgIMG_20240622_105706657_HDR.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @martyjames,

A great solution to give your side path a fresh new look.

Congratulations on another successful project.

Keep us in mind for the next one, I'm sure it's not far away.

Jacob

Afternoon @martyjames 

That has come up nicely :smile: Much more useful space! I can def see a wheelbarrow hooning down it now :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects