Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint to use for painting paling fences?

JoeRW
Finding My Feet

What paint to use for painting paling fences?

Hello DIYers
When painting outdoor paling fences should I use Fence Paint or a paint such as a Solar Guard/Dulux.  I’m concerned that a Fence Paint whilst being cheaper will require more coats for a satisfactory finish.  A building paint is more expensive but may be worth it if the coverage is thicker requiring fewer coats and less work.  
All advice appreciated. 
Ooroo Joe

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting Paling Fences

Hello @JoeRW 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting fences.

Your assessment is spot on in regards to paint coverage. Some paint products will sometimes require more coats as you mentioned. In my experience Dulux provides superb coverage, but it also helps if the colour that you choose blends in with the material you are painting.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your fence? This will give our members a better idea of its current condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need a hand posting the photo, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What paint to use for painting paling fences?

Hi @JoeRW,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

Just thought I'd add some inspiration for your fence project from our clever and creative community members:

I would recommend a paint sprayer for the job. Bunnings has a guide How to spray paint a fence that shows how easy it is.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeRW
Finding My Feet

IMG_6908.jpeg

JoeRW
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric

Thanks for your suggestion to post a photo which I have now done.  I will have to use a brush given that the garden is close to the fence.  Any further advice on whether to use a Walpamur Fence Paint or an exterior building paint like Dulux or Solar Guard would be greatly appreciated.  
Ooroo Joe

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JoeRW,

Your fence looks to be in fairly good condition, so there's no issue with using a fence paint such as this Walpamur 10L Ironbark Fence Finish.

Since you're unable to use a paint sprayer, you might like to have a look at a cheap roller and tray such as this Paint Partner 230mm 10mm Nap Budget Roller Kit. You could also grab a small roller to fit between the front palings such as this UNi-PRO 60mm Little Ripper Mini Foam Roller Cover And Frame.  

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob. 
Great tip about the rollers.  
Ooroo Joe

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects