Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow Murraya into a tall hedge?

Murlun
Finding My Feet

How to grow Murraya into a tall hedge?

Hi all, 

In February 2023 I planted 19 Muraya plants around the border of my garden. The idea here is to grow them to around the size of the fence, and have them as a hedge (fully joined) to block the fence.

When I planted them, I put some compost & cow manure around the plant, a layer of weed mat (to attempt to keep out the kikuyu lawn as it was covered with lawn before digging), and stones as you can see in the photo. Plants on the left are growing stronger than the ones at the back because of more sunlight in autumn.winter, but in Spring/Summer, most of the plants get decent sun. 

I would like some advice on two topics:

1. How can I improve the rate of growth of these plants, they seem to be a little small still, even though they have grown since I planted them. Last Spring & Summer I was giving them a mixture of Seamungus (https://www.bunnings.com.au/neutrog-1l-seamungus-liquid-concentrate_p0275415) & Powerfeed plant food (https://www.bunnings.com.au/powerfeed-600ml-fertiliser-liquid-concentrate_p0086797) every three weeks or so, but stopped in Autumn/Winter.). Should I continue with this, but also add a slow release fertilizer from now? If so, any recommendations?

2. What's the best technique to prune these to ensure they grow into a thick combined hedge? Earlier this week I got electric sheers, took some off the top and back, and a little off the sides too but I don't really have a strategy on how long, and what shape I should be pruning them in to.

Images attached: First 3 current, Last picture was when I first planted it (Feb 2023)

More Shade back of gardenMore Shade back of gardenMore sun left of gardenMore sun left of gardenMurraya Paniculata plantsMurraya Paniculata plantsLeft of garden when first planted (Feb 2023)Left of garden when first planted (Feb 2023)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to grow Murraya into a tall hedge?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Murlun. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about growing Murraya into a tall hedge.

It looks like your Murraya plants have made some good progress since planting in February 2023. It’s great to see that they’re getting established, and it’s normal for growth to vary a bit based on sunlight exposure, as you've noticed.

To boost growth, I recommend continuing with your current regimen of Seamungus and Powerfeed during the growing season, as they’re excellent for providing nutrients and stimulating healthy growth. In addition, introducing a slow-release fertiliser, like the Scotts Osmocote 4.5kg All Purpose Landscape Controlled Release Fertilser, can provide consistent nourishment over time. Apply it now as we’re heading into the warmer months, and continue with your liquid fertilisers every 3-4 weeks for a balanced feeding routine.

Regarding pruning, it’s essential to encourage upright growth while allowing the hedge to thicken horizontally. At this stage, I suggest focusing on light pruning. Trim the tops only if they’re becoming uneven or if a particular plant is outpacing the others significantly. The sides can be lightly pruned to encourage bushiness, but avoid heavy cutting, as you want the plants to grow together and fill in the gaps. Once the hedge reaches your desired height, you can start shaping it more aggressively to maintain the height and promote thickness.

For now, the key is to allow them to grow and establish themselves fully. As they mature, regular pruning will help maintain the hedge's shape and density.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc, makes perfect sense. Few follow ups:

1. Do you think the rocks being there will impact the growth? 

2. If you had to have a best guess, how long would it take to grow up to around 2m height?

3. Is it worth me adding some compost & mulch around the base of each plant? ( Current I have a small circular gap around each plant so the soil around the plant is exposed )

4. Any tips on how to stop the lawn growing through without doing damage to the plants? I need to pick them out every two weeks or so at the moment and just pull them out as they come, it's not crazy but would prefer to stop it.

Thanks in advanced! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Murlun 

I think you should move the rocks further away from the plants as they act like mini heat sinks. As the sun bakes the rocks in heat, it absorbs all this radiant heat and releases it in the evening creating a hot environment for the plant and dehydrating it. Conservatively speaking if your plant is well taken care of and does not suffer any fungal or insect attack you should have adequate growth in two years. Keep in mind that a lot of environmental factors must be in favour of the plant in order for it to reach two meters.

Adding compost and mulch is always a plus as as it helps with soil nutrition and slows down evaporation. In regards to the weed, I propose removing the stones and putting down weed mat and then putting the stones back on top. This will slow down the weeds, but at some point, it will eventually find a way around it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks @EricL & @MitchellMc Great info there.

Whilst we're at it. I also have four Murraya plants at the front which are about 3-4 years old now. They've got decent height nowbut struggling to get them to join together into a hedge. 

Questions:
1. For the front hedges, any idea how to get them together/more bushy? Especially the second one, really lacking on the left side.

2. On the bottom right of the photo you can see the lawn (kikuyu) quite damaged over winter by the dog (not digging just walking there a lot), any tips on how to rejuvenate that patch?

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 10.54.05 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-12 at 10.54.22 AM.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Murlun,

Make sure you've fertilised the plants and keep their height in check. Allow any growth at the side to grow out, and nip off any branches growing upwards.

For the grass, there area is likely compacted. Aerate the area, apply a 20mm thick layer of topsoil, apply some Seasol and then rope off the area until it has managed to grow back.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc, by the looks of it, for the second plant for example, most of the branches are growing upwards, could you be a little more specific about what I need to cut off? Are you talking about the ones that are completely vertical, or any that are curving upwards at 45 degrees +? And are you talking about the ones coming off the main branch, or subsequent branches coming off sub branches? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Murlun,

Remove any branches above the red line and leave any alone within the blue section. That will help the plant to direct energy to the lower branches and infill.

Mitchell

Thanks, did you mean to attach a photo indicating red/blue zones? Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sorry @Murlun.

Mitchell

Hedge.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects