Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I paint over a stained deck?

DIYmiss
Just Starting Out

Can I paint over a stained deck?

IMG_4426.jpeg

IMG_4382.jpeg

  Our deck is in need of a makeover. The previous stain colour is flaking off in areas. If possible I don’t want to have to strip the entire deck as it’s a very large area. Is it possible to give the areas flaking a light sand, then paint over it? Would I need to apply a stain stopper primer if wanting to paint it a light grey? If so, what product would you recommend? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I paint over a stained deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DIYmiss. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring your deck.

The coating has deteriorated, and while spot sanding may remove areas that are already flaking, the rest of the coating is likely compromised as well. To ensure long-lasting results, you'll need to sand back the entire deck. This way, you'll have a clean and solid surface for the new paint or stain to adhere to, preventing further peeling or flaking. We hire sanders that can be used for this purpose. There would be nothing worse than coating over this deteriorated surface only for your new paint to peel off along with the old in several months' time.

After sanding, you'll need to use Cabot's Deck clean.

Once the deck is clean and dry, you can apply Cabot's Timbercolour. There is no need for a primer. Once it is dry, apply a second coat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects