Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix new deck discolouration?

tombot1974
Just Starting Out

How to fix new deck discolouration?

Hi
I had a new deck build and I used New Timber Prep Cabot's and  Deck Clean and some spots had some discoloration. I thought it might have been because some water may have still been in the boards. I then used the Deck Clean to get of this weird green tinge that formed but now I have these markings. What do you recommend? I tried a little oil back in one spot but doesnt seem to have removed discolouration

image0(7).jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New deck discoloration

Hi @tombot1974,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The Cabot's New Timber Prep that you've used, is designed to remove the natural oils, called tannins, that exist within the timber. Tannins drain naturally over time, but this product is designed to speed up the process so you can coat the decking boards immediately with a product such as Cabot's 4L Natural Decking Oil

The top half of the decking boards in your photo look ready to receive a coating, whereas the bottom half looks like they need another clean with the new timber prep.

I would start with this before taking any further steps. If you can address the issue easily with products you already have, it will save you time and money.

Let me know how you go, and if this works for you. If there is not a noticeable change, please let me know as I can certainly offer further methods to deal with it.

Jacob 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix new deck discolouration?

Hi @tombot1974,

Just to follow up with some further resources, you might like to check out How to stain and protect decking timber and How to restore a deck.

These handy articles will give you an idea of the process you can follow with either a new or old deck to achieve the best results.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects