Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between panels and ground?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

How to fill gap between panels and ground?

Hi.

As you can see in the picture below, there is a gap empty space between  the merbau panels and the ground. What kind of timbre should I use to fill that wall space but still ensure it looks good? Sleepers?

1000017464.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what do I use to cover the area under the panels

Hi @AJ-DIYer,

Thank you for your question about covering an area underneath your Merbau fence panels.

I'd suggest using timber sleepers due to the proximity to the ground. Timber sleepers are treated for external use where the timber is in contact with the ground.

Did the gap extend to the right and left of the circled area in your photo? If so, you may need to dig out the area to the right to accommodate a sleeper as it doesn't look like it will be 200mm high.

You can likely attach the sleepers to the timber posts using 100mm galvanised batten screws, but if this is not an option, they can be anchored with sleeper pegs in the correct width for your chosen sleepers. 

Once the sleepers are installed, you can backfill them with soil to hide any small gaps that remain.

You might like to check out How To Build A Timber Retaining Wall for some further guidance.

Were you planning on having anything between the two brick piers? If not, a nice garden bed would be a great way to take the attention away from the sleepers. 

You might also like to check out How to build a simple raised garden bed.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thank you @JacobZ for the guidance. Is there an option to use thinner timbre pieces as sleepers look very bulky and not sure if they will look great 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AJ-DIYer 

If the gap is still around 200mm you could continue using Merbau panels until the final 110mm. For that final gap I suggest using 100 x 16mm 4.8m Edging H4 Treated Pine Sawn Wet. It's not as pretty as the Merbau panels but it is H4 treated which means that it can withstand direct soil contact. There is also the 150 x 25mm Plinth H4 Treated Pine Sawn Wet 2.4m, but this piece is subject to availability. Please make sure to contact your store for stock levels before including this piece in your plans.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects